General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked 'em up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:12 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattInFla
If you are truly "locking up" your brakes, you need some serious braking practice.

Matt
There are times when there's no place to go, and absolutely no time for graduated heavy braking, but the lesson is; once you lock up that rear tire, you'd best leave it locked. The tendency for beginners is to use the motorcycle foot brake overly hard, in an emergency, like they would with a car (and with modern ABS systems in cars that's fine). In the case I mentioned above, the best course of action would have been for her not to be following as close (she'd have had more braking time). As for swerving to the right of the road...there was an embankment and plenty of large trees near the road....a choice that would probably have resulted in serious injury or death.

In the old days, the lore was 'laying the bike down' in an extreme emergency...and of course that doesn't scrub off speed nearly as well as rubber, and maximum braking is achieved just short of skidding the tire....something that changes constantly due to a great many variables. In essence, we must become, through experience, our bike's ABS.

Last edited by krusty1; 04-18-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 AM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,669 Likes on 699 Posts

When I was 16 or 17 riding the trusty Honda cb450 in the right lane I had a lady pull out and only give me about 2 ft to get by. Panic slammed the rear brake, slid sideways for at least and hour at 50 mph (you know that feeling) . Gave up, released the rear and Ill be damned if the rear didnt whip around behind the front and clear her front bumper with inches to spare. I actually gave up riding for a long time after that. Didnt get back to it until my son bought his first bike.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:38 AM
07softy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly too many times

Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Have to agree with Matt....there are way too many people riding cycles that have no idea how to brake properly, much less in an emergency situation. How many of you who have locked up your brakes have taken an MSF course? Or, more importantly, taken the Experienced Rider Course where you ride your own bike in the course? If is does happen, at least you'll know how to control it.

Krusty, great reply to Matt's post.

There's a really old movie about the California Hwy Patrol that sometimes runs, and it shows motor officers on Harleys being trained to "lay their bikes down." (it shows them doing that in the dirt, not on the highway). Nowdays, someone who says they "had to lay their bike down" to avoid an accident, really means, "I overbraked and lost control and did a slide out."

Old 04-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Burndog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
When I was 16 or 17 riding the trusty Honda cb450 in the right lane I had a lady pull out and only give me about 2 ft to get by. Panic slammed the rear brake, slid sideways for at least and hour at 50 mph (you know that feeling) . Gave up, released the rear and Ill be damned if the rear didnt whip around behind the front and clear her front bumper with inches to spare. I actually gave up riding for a long time after that. Didnt get back to it until my son bought his first bike.
I had a car pop out from a shopping center parking lot after being blind to my presence due to back to back buses parked and blocking his view. Didn't help i was riding a wheely on my RD400.

I slide the bike by locking the back break on and off and was just about to make it around his front end when he gassed it. Bike went under, i went over. No front bumper on the car and my leg was scrapped to the bone. Missed my High School graduation as it was the day prior.

The driver said in court he saw me going around the front of his car and did not know why but gave it gas.

Another time, a few years later locked it up on the freeway as the cars all came to a stop without my picking up on it quick enough. Skidded my XS11 up to the back of the van in front of me and hit it at a couple miles per hour. Dumped the bike.

No close calls lately. Riding slower and expecting cars to turn in front of me every chance they get.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:57 AM
roqueweiler
Advanced

I have taken a great motorcycle safety course and have lots of dirt bike riding experience but little on the street. Here in asinine Vancouver traffic, expecting the worst all the time and riding like I am invisible, I lock the back tire in safety stop mode at least once per downtown ride.

I know they stop faster not skidding, but in a 'panic' stop, all teh weight transfers to the front wheel soooo quickly!

At least I am getting lots of 'panic' stop practice and luckily I don't need to go downtown that often!

Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Another thought: The Harley brake pedal on the tour bikes is not user friendly, and leads to over braking. The first thing I bought for our '06 was an "E-Z Brake" pedal, and it makes a world of differnce in being able to control your foot pressure on the pedal.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/z/ezbrake/index.htm