General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked 'em up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:09 AM
Cheeto
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I locked up the rear once because a family of raccoons was on a suicide mission. One of the little ones even had the nerve to try and bite me after i put all that effort into missing it. Crazy little bastard. Didnt lay it over though.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:22 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Wait till you follow up behind a cage or for that matter any other vehicle that has a brakelight fuse burnt out or missing. You'll see just exactly what your brakes are capable of doing in a panic mode. That's part of riding. Give yourself ample room to avoid anything if possible.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:56 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Once... when a woman was pulling on to a two lane highway. It wasn't her fault though... I mean she had her hands full... A soda in one hand, cell phone in the other its kind of hard to make a turn with your elbow and knee.

Charlie D.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:00 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It's happened a time or two,but always take it in stride.there will always be people out on the highways that should not be there.Then there are people just being human,making mistakes, we all do it,me included.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 AM
MattInFla
Road Master

If you are truly "locking up" your brakes, you need some serious braking practice.

Matt

Old 04-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

Yup! Had a person back out of a driveway in front of me. Had a person run a redlight in front of me. Had a person in an SUV pull off a stop sign in front of me. (Just last week) Gotta keep your guard up out there all the time.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:37 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by MattInFla
If you are truly "locking up" your brakes, you need some serious braking practice.

Matt

I've had to get on the brakes hard a few times, even scrubbed a little rubber.
Locking them up doesn't stop you faster, and you have less control. If you can swerve to avoid something it is usually a better option.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 AM
BugDr
Road Master

Originally Posted by RyKR
I thought that I was in the best place to ride the other day, cop cars front and back. I was right between two cop cars and some idiot still cut me off!! I locked up the rear brake, luckily I didn't lock the front. He saw me/heard me sliding at him, then he panicked and slammed on the brakes. Instead of getting the hell out of the way he sat across the damn road. I had to go up on the side walk to miss him. The cop behind me asked if I was ok and then left. The bastard got no ticket for failure to yield or anything.
Damn, that sounds like my town, the only way you can get a ticket here is to speed - it's not worth their time to ticket for anything else - no money in it.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:32 AM
first dyna 07
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I was coming home on a great ride with the men , and this drunk women driver came across the yellow line well into my lane by 7or 8 feet and to this day I do not know how she missed me ? It was by inches , what a feeling that was . I will never foreget .

Old 04-18-2010, 08:43 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've 'locked 'em up' lots of times, but I can think of a notable instance when my wife had her first 'get off' because she locked 'em up.

She hadn't been riding very long, but she took to it like a duck to water. We were cruising down a popular road by local river, frequented by bicyclists and motorcycles. There was an entire family on bicycles coming towards us, with little kids, and one of the wobbly little kids just started crossing over into our lane.

My wife was following me a bit too close, and of course the prospect of hitting a child with a 700 motorcycle at 25 mph scared the hell out of her (and of course she didn't want to slam into the back of me...we were both braking hard). She locked 'em both up, and made the cardinal mistake of releasing the rear brake, and the bike slammed over hard. Her right leg was under the bike as it screeched on its side down the road.

The engine guard took a great deal of damage, but her leg was fine (she was wearing full leathers)...her shoulder was sore, and helmet got bonked on the road real good.

We got her bike up, she shook herself off to see if anything was broken....and like a trooper she continued on the ride to a dinner stop. Total cost was a new engine guard, new helmet, and a new set of pipes (they were crappy stock pipes anyway, and we got her a nice set of V&H's).

As for the family on the bicycles that caused this whole chain of events....the ********* never even stopped to see if she was alright.

Quick Reply: Locked 'em up.