General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad day @ Flood Run

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Major Bummer..
My heart goes out to you and their family....

Old 04-18-2010, 05:27 AM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

As I went past, the paramedics were doing CPR chest compressions on one of them. I don't know which one. It was a smaller red car that I think had to see and hear the bikes but just didn't want to wait and thought it would go anyway. `Several years ago Motorcycle Consumer News did an experiment. They rode around L.A. for a month and counted how many people in cars cut them off and nudged them out of their lane and so on. Then they dressed up looking like a cop on a bike and rode around for another month and not one person cut them off or did anything. The problem as I see it isn't that people in cars don't see bikes. That's just an excuse they use. People don't view a motorcycle as a threat to them in a crash so they just plain don't care. That's why they never encroached on the guys at MCN when they were looking like a cop on a bike. The people didn't want to get a ticket.
This was very early in the run and it sure put a sad face on the day.
RIP Laurie. Noname

Last edited by noname; 04-18-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:29 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Prayers sent........ The only words that come to my mind are,................. So Sad!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Pacodelahoya
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by noname
As I went past, the paramedics were doing CPR chest compressions on one of them. I don't know which one. It was a smaller red car that I think had to see and hear the bikes but just didn't want to wait and thought it would go anyway. `Several years ago Motorcycle Consumer News did an experiment. They rode around L.A. for a month and counted how many people in cars cut them off and nudged them out of their lane and so on. Then they dressed up looking like a cop on a bike and rode around for another month and not one person cut them off or did anything. The problem as I see it isn't that people in cars don't see bikes. That's just an excuse they use. People don't view a motorcycle as a threat to them in a crash so they just plain don't care. That's why they never encroached on the guys at MCN when they were looking like a cop on a bike. The people didn't want to get a ticket.
This was very early in the run and it sure put a sad face on the day.
RIP Laurie. Noname

You are absolutely correct. They just don't care because we are not a threat to them. I have seen people make eye contact and still pull out on me. I have seen people pause/stop when they see me then pull out anyway. That whole I didn't see them bs is just that, bs.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Minnesota FXDF
Cruiser

I am sorry to hear this, prayers for the husband. We were on the run yesterday but usually ride it the other way. We go down the Minnesota side and then come back up Wisconsin. I was in Maiden Rock about 1pm and didn't know a tragedy had happened.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:04 AM
first dyna 07
Road Master

Prayers have been sent

Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 AM
CROCKETT
Cruiser

TOO sad, my regards to the family.
I wonder if the driver of the car is greiving today? Always gotta be in a hurry!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the post, Brick. That run kind of kicks of the riding season in Minnesota--now marred by this tragedy.

Prayers and thoughts going out to all .

Old 04-18-2010, 09:56 AM
stamper5498
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prayers and Condolences to the family

Old 04-18-2010, 09:59 AM
LA Cox
Cruiser

Hate to hear that...Prayers sent for the involved and family.

Noname..I think you've hit it right on the head most of the time. I've got a few friends that are in the motor's unit that have been hit...they might disagree with you!

Late,

Quick Reply: Bad day @ Flood Run