General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Management Systems and HD Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010 | 09:05 PM
fishcop
|
Road Captain
Default Fuel Management Systems and HD Warranty

Ok, this concerns my neighbor but could also be me. He has 09 Heritage, the dealer put on V & H slipons and stage 1 a/c and the dreaded HD download. The bike sounds good and runs OK but could be better. I told him about my experience with T-Max on my Ultra and what an improvement it made. Soooo, he decides on a T-max for his Heritage, however, the dealer told him if he puts on a T-max it will completely and I mean completely void his warranty. The dealer wants to do the sert. Now, before he drinks the HD kool aid any thoughts. Do the T-max and run the risk or give in and do the sert. The bike surges a tiny bit at low rpm and throttle response could be better. I should mention that the dealer's service advisor said if he does the T-max and had a warranty issue he would help him as much as possible but no guarantee. So pound away and give us your thoughts.

Old 04-17-2010 | 09:20 PM
Sancho
Road Master

Keep in mind the TMax completely replaces the stock ECM. If you made a widgit and sold it to me with a 2 year warranty & I started changing things on it and then it had a problem would you honor the warranty? If it were me I'd buy a power commander from Fuelmoto with their map for alot less money than a SERT or Tmax. Just tell Fuelmoto you have a stage 1 download. Then if something went wrong with the bike, remove the Pwr Cmdr (which the bike would then utilize the dealer download), and the warranty would remain in tact.

Old 04-17-2010 | 09:27 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sancho
Keep in mind the TMax completely replaces the stock ECM. If you made a widgit and sold it to me with a 2 year warranty & I started changing things on it and then it had a problem would you honor the warranty? If it were me I'd buy a power commander from Fuelmoto with their map for alot less money than a SERT or Tmax. Just tell Fuelmoto you have a stage 1 download. Then if something went wrong with the bike, remove the Pwr Cmdr (which the bike would then utilize the dealer download), and the warranty would remain in tact.
Sounds like sound advice!

Old 04-17-2010 | 09:30 PM
warrconn
Road Master

Which is why I'm a carburetor guy.

Old 04-17-2010 | 09:53 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

I bought my bike in '06, and right away had a Power Commander put on it at a DynaJet Tuning center...

Mentioned it to my dealer...he never batted an eye and I never had any issues with warranty work from them...

Old 04-17-2010 | 10:02 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

I think the dealer is just trying to sell his own parts. If the bike needs warranty the dealer or manufacturer would have to prove that the non-harley part, whatever it may be, was the cause of the failure.

Old 04-17-2010 | 10:06 PM
NYBagger92
Road Master

my local recommended the SE fuel management only because it is not a stay on bike, theft worthy item.

he then added that he has a pc-v on his scoot, and loves it.

i will be doing a pc-v, cat free pipes, ac and muffs. i will cross the warranty bridge if it presents itself.

Old 04-18-2010 | 10:50 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

They can not void your entire bikes warranty for installing a tuner. There are a million posts on this subjet.

Search on the internet or here for Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

They would have to prove that the tuner caused the failure. If they can't, they have to fix what ever failed. It's the law. If they can prove it was the tuner that caused a failure, then the T-Max warranty should kick in to cover the repair.

All the dealers know this and if they tell you different, they are liars or just don't know what they are doing. Either way, you don't want them touching your bike.

Old 04-18-2010 | 10:57 AM
Nabubba
Road Master

Harley has a bunch of lawyers and they will wait you out if they have to.

As Warrconn stated that's why I am a carburetor guy too.

Old 04-18-2010 | 11:34 AM
brockstwrt
Tourer

Ask your dealer to put that statement in writing. I would find another dealer if I was you.

Quick Reply: Fuel Management Systems and HD Warranty