General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering blocks 2006 wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010 | 02:47 PM
escherWG
|
Cruiser
Default lowering blocks 2006 wide glide installed w/ pics

Heres a quick write up of installing a set of lowering blocks on my '06 wide glide.

These are tamarack 1.75" lowering kit. Also, this my first write-up on this forum, so if you've got any tips on how to post better, hit me w/ some feedback.

Basically, I jacked up the bike with a modified sear red jack. Also, don't forget to set a few planks of wood under the rear tire so that once the bike is lowered you can get the jack out...

Next I detached the shocks from where they were mounted on the swing arm. Once both are hanging lose, it easy to just bolt the blocks onto the swing arm. If you are using tamarack, make sure the "tamarack" logo is facing out. This is how you know you've got them on the right side, even though it'd be pretty tough to mount these on the wrong sides...
Then I lowered the jack a few inches until the bottom of the shocks would line up w/ the new mounting holes on the blocks. Bolted both sides up. Lowered the jack and then finished tightening all the bolts once the blocks/shocks and everything had settled w/ the weight of the bike on it.

I rode it around for a bit, aiming for some bumps and dips to see how it handled, or if there would be issues w/ bottoming out. No rubbing or bottoming out, so thats good! I'm about 210 and have the rears set to 4 (5 being the stiffest) on the preload.

Anyways, i attached a pic of the blocks just laying where they would be mounted, just to show people what they sorta look like... Also, there is a pic of before it was lowered and then after. Hope this helps!

Attached Thumbnails lowering blocks 2006 wide glide-img_1407.jpg   lowering blocks 2006 wide glide-img_1411.jpg   lowering blocks 2006 wide glide-img_1420.jpg   lowering blocks 2006 wide glide-img_1423.jpg   lowering blocks 2006 wide glide-img_1428.jpg  

Old 04-19-2010 | 03:49 PM
escherWG
|
Cruiser

bump to top... feedback?

Old 04-19-2010 | 03:55 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member

You did chck your belt tension, didn't you? If not, do it ASAP, your belt should be too tight.

Old 04-19-2010 | 04:20 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member

Check your tire to fender clearance with two people sitting on the bike while they bounce up and down.

Old 04-20-2010 | 08:45 AM
escherWG
|
Cruiser

thanks for the input, i'm definitely going to adjust the belt tension. the clearance seems fine.

Old 04-20-2010 | 09:17 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

The bike now sits like it should have. Good job man.

Old 05-21-2010 | 02:42 PM
vicsponjr
Road Master
Veteran: Army

Escher, I'm looking to lower my 08 wideglide and wondering if you are still happy with your lowering kit. Which kit did you get? Are they billet aluminum?

Old 05-24-2010 | 08:18 AM
escherWG
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vicsponjr
Escher, I'm looking to lower my 08 wideglide and wondering if you are still happy with your lowering kit. Which kit did you get? Are they billet aluminum?
Vics, i'm 100% happy w/ the lowering blocks. I used 1.75" lowering blocks from Tamarack
http://www.tamarackmw.com/
And yes they are billet aluminum.

Also, i just did a 3" tank lift from jackle over the weekend, and the combo of the dropped rear and lifted tank showing off the twins is amazing. It looks badass! I'll be posting a write-up for the tank lift when i get some more time.

Some things to keep in mind w/ the lowering blocks:
* rider(s) weight - i've never bottomed out, but i have the shocks set to 4 (5 being stiffest) and when 2up we're only 330.
* pegs & exhaust will be lowering so keep that in mind when leaning. I've scrapped the bottom of the exhaust a few times... not a big deal
Plus, i think the bike handles better w/ the rear dropped, IMO!

Good luck.

Old 05-26-2010 | 02:28 AM
vicsponjr
Road Master
Veteran: Army

Thanks. I ordered 1" blocks off their website this morning. I saw enough posts by people who were satisfied with them. Didn't want to push it too far so I stayed away from the 1.75's. I scrape my right peg on turns now as it is. If the 1" doesn't get me close enough to the pegs I'll have to have the seat cut down.
I have the tank lift on my Wide Glide, and yes, it shows off the heads real well.

Old 05-26-2010 | 09:00 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

I had good luck with the tamarack blocks. The only reason I changed was the two up riding I do. I could set the shocks on 5 and it was fine two up, but was just too stiff when I was alone. And I got tired of having to get the wrench every time when I wanted to go solo. Bottom line, they do what they are supposed to do.

Quick Reply: lowering blocks 2006 wide glide