General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magneti Marelli EFI Good or Bad??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010 | 10:02 PM
lancej62
|
Stage IV
Question Magneti Marelli EFI Good or Bad??

I bought a 95 Ultra last year with the MM EFI. The mechanic that works on my bike keeps telling me that the MM EFI is not very good and most people have lots of troubles. What has been the experience of you riders who have MM EFI? Have you had lots of problems, or has yours been relativly trouble free? How many miles has your bike traveled?

Old 04-16-2010 | 10:58 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

I have never owned one but I have a friend with an 02 with it. He had a Power Commander on it that nobody could get tuned right. He switched to a SERT and has had no problems since.

Old 04-16-2010 | 11:27 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master

93K on my 01 Ultra with M&M EFI and a PCIII. Every couple seasons it forgets how to idle. I take it to my local Indy shop and the tuner resets the idle and I'm good to go. I must say, she's got a bit of a stumble now when she's cold, but I guess that's to be expected with the mileage.

Old 04-17-2010 | 02:17 AM
rlowride
Road Warrior

the 95s were the first year i believe.....
i had ... objective word... HAD
a 1996 Ultra with the M&M....
Sucked so much *** it was unbelievable.

I had it at the shop under warranty a few times...
had to have or whatever redone... the cold and hot idle sensors
the sensor on the side that is set from the factory and the bolt head filled with glue so you couldnt adjust it.... i had to break free and replace the screws...

As the idle and junk would mess up, id have to go i n manually and start playing with all the adjusters to keep it running...
Loved the ultra... hated the fuel delivery...
i was advised many times not to put a good air cleaner on the ole girl..... no fuel controllers etc..
i was told if it was running.. to just let it run.. dont mess with it....

I traded it off as soon as i could...
I have never heard any thing good about the first few years of the M&M efi.....

Old 04-17-2010 | 10:41 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

I had MM on my 01 RK. The idle acted up every now and then but it was nothing I had to have worked on. I was told that when you first start the bike you shouldn't bump the throttle until the bikes had plenty of time to warm up, apparently it screws up the system if you rev it too soon.

I just traded my RK for a new Streetbob and when I talked to the mechanic about my new bike the first thing he commented on was how much I'll appreciate the new EFI system since the MM was junk.

Old 04-18-2010 | 12:04 PM
cdesero
Tourer

00 Ultra And exactly what Lincoln33 said. M&M EFI does not have a very smart computer you
MUST let the bike warm up or it is possible it wont idle properly. Just take it to a good shop
every couple of years for a little love and you will be happy.

Old 04-18-2010 | 12:07 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

MM's have issues with the idle control system. That is all. Just take it to a guy who knows the quirks and all will be well. Lots of posts on here about problems and solutions. Zippers Tmax makes a replacement kit for the entire system. Not sure if itwill work on a 95 though. It is like $1,800 for the whole setup if you want to ditch the MM ecm.

http://www.thunder-max.com/Products/...arelliKit.aspx

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 04-18-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2010 | 12:08 PM
RK Ivan
Road Captain

When did they stop putting in the MM EFI's??

Old 04-18-2010 | 01:15 PM
phat96
Road Warrior

I think 01 was the last year for MM, do a search on converting to a carb, and no more problems, cheaper than you might think, mine right now is an MM and a 1996, just got my CV carb and assembling the rest of my parts on the list. Carb $70 bucks, and the ignition are probably the most expensive parts.

Old 03-19-2012 | 08:29 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
I have never owned one but I have a friend with an 02 with it. He had a Power Commander on it that nobody could get tuned right. He switched to a SERT and has had no problems since.
Originally Posted by RK Ivan
When did they stop putting in the MM EFI's??
The Magnetti Marelli EFI was used up to and including the 2001 model year. It had problems and didn't deliver reliable performance. 2002 was the first year for the Delphi Electronic Fuel Injection. The Delphi EFI is still used in the new models today.

Quick Reply: Magneti Marelli EFI Good or Bad??