General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It is a buyer's Market

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I got lucky. I sold my softail last month. I had it for three years and put several thousand miles on it and sold it for $2500 more than I gave for it. As someone else stated, if it speaks to the right person, it will sell.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:29 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i oudn it depends on the market region as well. up here for example, the oldest poorly maintained sporty i have seen on the market sold for $6K, was an 86 sporty in ROUGH shape. anything with EFI is at or near the US msrp *Canadian MSRP is 3-5K over us MSRP* hell i spent a year lookign for my sporty and i still had to pony up $4k cash for what was essentially an assembled basket case '69. some models are lower priced then others for example i know where i can pick up a sturgis model FX in mint condition with enoug hmiles on the rebuild to consider it broke in and thats it for $6k but the newer ones are all considerably higher then KBB value thats forsure.

i know what ya mean though i was thinkin bout listign mine to try and fund a dyna buy but FUG that i have near $10k in mine between gettign it back to running and looking half decent and the initial buy price, i might be lucky to see $5K for it locally

Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 PM
pjmoraldo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see custom choppers brand new all over the place around with the for sale signs having 4 or 5 price drops from $1000 to $1500 increments on them startin out at 19 or 20K and down
under 15-12k its crazy!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:42 PM
SandNuriz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine just picked up a 2010 Fatboy with 1500 miles on it with pipes and tuner for $10,000.00

Old 04-16-2010, 09:14 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Hang in there. Sorry to hear about the back. When full bloom summer riding hits, you might have better luck. Shame you have to let em go.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pjmoraldo
I see custom choppers brand new all over the place around with the for sale signs having 4 or 5 price drops from $1000 to $1500 increments on them startin out at 19 or 20K and down
under 15-12k its crazy!
It's because the big fat tire, raked a half mile chopper trend is pretty much over. If you ask me the next big thing the is also on it's way to being over is the blacked out everything look. What's going to be the next trend thing everyone wants? Knowing that before everyone has already done it is the way to keep from taking an *** whipping when you sell a bike. That or just not doing anything trendy to it and keeping it simple. The rarest HD on the planet is a stock one.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HD sellers are totally unrealistic. they think buyers love their mods as much as they do, first thing buyers are going to do is strip them all off, sell what they can and put on what they like. it's a hindrance not a benefit, certainly doesn't warrant adding thousands to what is a reasonable price.

i see guys trying to sell their 1996 fatboy with 20,000+ miles for 14K+, i can have a new one for a couple grand more...

Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,544 Posts

in this area, dealers are not dealing. you're gonna pay msrp, +extras (freight, setup, etc). that being said, i was able to get 12k for my 07 road king in trade, with 40,000 miles on it. considering that msrp was 16k, i felt pretty good about it.

now i know someone is gonna come along and tell me how badly i got ripped. save your breath. i like my 2010, and i am not gonna second guess my deal and work myself into a frenzy over something that i can't change. i'm just gonna ride it.

good luck selling your bikes, hope you get what you are looking for from them.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:05 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SandNuriz
A friend of mine just picked up a 2010 Fatboy with 1500 miles on it with pipes and tuner for $10,000.00
funny, a friend of mine just sold an '02 Fatboy for $10k. Crazy market

Old 04-17-2010, 12:23 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
It's because the big fat tire, raked a half mile chopper trend is pretty much over. If you ask me the next big thing the is also on it's way to being over is the blacked out everything look. What's going to be the next trend thing everyone wants? Knowing that before everyone has already done it is the way to keep from taking an *** whipping when you sell a bike. That or just not doing anything trendy to it and keeping it simple. The rarest HD on the planet is a stock one.
Speaking of trends, The latest bike shows seem to be full of bikes with No paint, chrome or powdercoat, Just RUST.

The first time I saw one of those Texas Choppers (American IronHorse???) I thought it was the neatest looking production chopper there was. Now I see more of them around than Harley Softails. I guess that fad is over too. A guy in my neighborhood just brought one by that he's looking at buying. The seller is asking $10K or best offer. I remember them going for a whole lot more than that a few years ago.

Quick Reply: It is a buyer's Market