General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Ape's

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 AM
rockshock
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Ape's

I have a 2009 CVO Springer and I am wanting to put some mini ape's on them. About a 10" rise or so. I am also putting a custom made backrest on the bike with the backrest being the same flame design that is on the gas tank. My question is: does anyone have any suggestions for me to avoid the $1500 the dealer is wanting to install the new handlebars? I knew it was going to cost me, but a bit of sticker shock going on!! I am a little nervous about doing it myself since I have to re-wire virtually the entire bike.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:37 AM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you considered getting a price quote from an independent shop. 1500 bucks sounds excessive, even for a harley dealership.

With that price quote for service I assume you have internally ran wires and will need to replace throttle/idle, and clutch and brake lines.

If you dont need to run your wires internally I think the price would drastically be reduced for the work. What type of bars do you have now? Will your existing throttle/idle, brake and clutch lines work?

Do you have any friends that could help you, as the job is not that difficult, with teh exception of running your wires inside the bars, that is where your high dollar service quote is being calculated in my opinion.

Again consider an indy shop for the same work. You may save hundreds of dollars.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 04-16-2010, 01:11 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a pretty easy job really. I dont know much about the springer setups but it should only take you a good 5-6 hours to complete all the work yourself, and thats learning how to do it. Then if you ever do it again it will only take you 3-4 hours. Do it yourself and save some major coin! You will probably have 300-400 bux in parts. THAT SAVINGS WILL PAY FOR A MANUAL, A JACK, AND ANY TOOLS YOU DONT HAVE TO COMPLETE THE JOB. AND THEN HAVE MONEY LEFT OVER FOR GAS AND COLD BEER.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
primostoy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just had mine done at our local shop(not hd) and it ran me $600.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:50 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to put some on my cvo springer as well but I am intimidated about putting a longer hose on the hydraulic clutch. I don't quite understand the procedure for bleeding the system out.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 12.5" apes on mine the bars cost $250 and $300 to install them with internal wiring. FYI

Attached Thumbnails Mini Ape's-jester-in-drive.jpg  
Old 04-16-2010, 04:07 PM
rockshock
1st Gear

ZeroFiveFour: The wiring is done internally, and I would like to keep them that way. You are correct in saying that is where a large chunk of the cost comes from. The dealer told me that, and it does make sense. The bars I have on it are the stock bars that came with the bike. With the type of bars I am looking at, the existing throttle/idle, brake and clutch lines will not work. All lines will have to be re-ran.

I will head to a couple of independent shops to see what they have to say in regards to the cost.

Thanks for the info!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:08 PM
rockshock
1st Gear

Danny D:

Did you have them done at a dealer, indy shop, or do it yourself?

Old 04-16-2010, 04:33 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Installing the bars, running the wiring internally, and changing the brake, clutch, and throttle cables aren't difficult.........just takes some time. Did the dealer tell you how much of the cost was for parts and how much for labor?

Old 04-16-2010, 05:31 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

thats a ridiculous price,even with new cables and brake lines,braided for that price i hope!

Quick Reply: Mini Ape's