General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:45 AM
MagicCityHarley
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is an all too common misconception that yellow tinted or yellow polarized night driving glasses are beneficial for night time driving. The thought is, the yellow or amber color reduces glare and improves contrast. However, in reality, when driving at night or dusk in already limited lighting conditions, ANY tint further reduces the amount of light transmitted to the eye, and consequently, further impairs vision. The problem is compounded as the yellow tint gives the wearer the impression they are seeing better, when in fact the reverse is actually true.
"Yellow 'Night Driving' lenses have been shown to provide no benefit in seeing ability at night. They are even hazardous, because they give the driver a feeling of seeing better, which no one has yet been able to explain. Studies have shown that they actually impair visual performance and retard glare recovery. Many promoters have made unfounded claims for the ability of amber to improve night vision. They have employed mass solicitation, usually by mail. The Federal Trade Commission has correctly ruled that such practices are illegal since the lenses do not perform as claimed." - Forensic Aspects of Vision and Highway Safety", Merrill J. Allen, O.D., Ph.D., Et al.

You get what you pay for. Cheap sunglasses do not block the dangerous rays from the sun and causes damage to the eyes, can cause cancer in eyes also.

I like the WileyX brick. One problem for me is at night the transitional lenses do not get light enough, and difficult to see on a dark night.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Subu
Cruiser

I have a pair of the HD Racetrack glasses, with the full foam. I wear contacts as well, so they work fine, but sometimes end up fogging up pretty bad unless i push them down my nose and away from my face a bit.

Has anyone with contacts had any experience with the glasses that have the foam that isn't the full foam, but seems to be harder foam that has like a lump, then a space, then another lump all the way around?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by exemexer
safety glasses work great.
..... +2 !

Old 05-12-2010, 11:16 PM
ArkiKen
Advanced

I found some Berkley fishing shades in walmart They are the most comfortable I have worn even better then my Wilys. They also have the bifocal cut on the inside of the lense which is nice since my arms arent long enough anymore

Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 PM
JWitz
Tourer

Originally Posted by Snap96
Got a pair of harley and wileyx in goggle form. Both have foam around the eyes and extremely comfortable. As a contact wearer I'd suggest getting something with foam or your eyes will water non stop. Check ebay and you'll come across some good deals. I got the harley ones for $3 and the wileyx for $25...both brand new.

I have both a pair of Harley and Wiley X with the transition lenses...both are great glasses and the seal keeps wind and debris out.....the only minus is the strap on the Wiley X Brick is not real comfortable.....hard to get into a position that doesn't bug you.....

Old 05-13-2010, 12:02 AM
grumpygy
Tourer

JUst got my Liberty Glasses in. Like the phot grays. Just got them with my distance Perscription in them. Got lucky did not try them on with my helmet. Did tonight they work great.

Now maybe I can stop Crying and will be able to see the road.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:05 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I have a pair of 7s. I like the foam seal down here in FL as we get so much blown sand and bugs. In the rain I wear a pair of clear Simpson safety glasses. I have a yellow pair too, but I prefer the clear.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:07 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBrad
I'm looking into buying a good pair of riding glasses. I'm leaning towards 7eye because I like their styles along with the protection factor. The day/night transition lenses are also a benefit.

I wear contacts and I'm concerned about the wind drying out my eyes at highway speeds. Should I be looking for a 100% total seal or will 75% protection be good enough?

Also what othe brands do you contact lens wearers prefer?
My wife wears contacts and she like Wiley X SG1's with the goggle strap attached (they have interchangeable strap or temple pieces). You can get them with a transition lens, as well.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Andrya
Stage II

When looking at biker sun glasses made of metal, you will find that most of them look the same as the plastic motorcycle riding sunglasses.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:52 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use ray bans they work like a charm and look classic clean, but if you want i have panoptex i bought at the stealership wore them about 5 times and in the case they stayed 40 bucks shipped if you wann em'

Quick Reply: Riding Glasses