General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol and rust in your tank..

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 01:56 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I have two carbed bikes and one EFI bike. After this past Chicago brutal winter, all three bikes started up and ran fine. One carbed bike had Stabil in the tank and neither of the other two did. All three spent the winter with full tanks of gas (ethanol blend). No problems from any of them on the first several rides.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Fossil
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ethanol in the gas is not going to cause any problems for Harleys. At least at the current level. As for rust int he gas tank. Harley coats the insides of the tanks as a corrosion control and have for many decades. Ethanol is going to be part of our gasoline and every one will carry it. Most gas stations gas suppliers fill up different brands and no one notices the difference. We here in Florida are lucky as we have a clear gasoline law. All pumps have to have a filter and changed regularly. There is state phone number posted ont he pump and complaints are followed up. All the old underground gas stroage tanks are being dug up and replaced with modern ones.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 PM
gregorysfd
Tourer

Ethanol is not going to solve any problems , only put in place to help those big corn farmers sell more corn. It has been a real problem for the boating industry , it cleans out the gas tanks , and runs it all to the filters and then things begin to fail. The only thing I saw it do for me was lower my gas mileage.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just some interesting reading.
http://e85.whipnet.net/ethanol.faq/index.html

Had to run it at Sturgis, EFI, damn thing ran way better.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:12 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rh8234
I am not trying to be a smart a$$ - I just want to be educated a little. If there is already moisture (water) in the tank, what difference does it make if it is absorbed in the alcohol or not? If the water is in there, it could be a problem whether it is absorbed in the alcohol or not. At least that is my gut feeling. Not being a chemist, I suppose there may well be some issues I have not considered, and I would like to hear some explanation of how the alcohol helps cause rust in tanks. Back in the 60's, we used to pour "HEAT" into the gas tanks of our cars to absorb the water. Heat was basically nothing but alcohol if I remember correctly. My mother was a nurse back then and she used to bring alcohol home from the hospital and I routinely dumped a quart in with every fillup of gas and never had any problems.
At certain temperatures (like in boats stored outside) the alcohol & water mix will seperate out from the fuel and turn into a jelly like substance that looks like rubber cement in your fuel system. This requires a costly entire fuel system cleaning to remove. Big headache to boaters, not likely to happen in cars where the fuel is used and replenished regularly but in a bike stored in an unheated garage it could happen. So storing ethanol over time in cold temps is the issue.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:16 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use shell or BP.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:10 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
now its Shell, Marathon or Speedy-way, bout the only 3 left here without it.
Our Shell and Marathon Stations all have the blend here, I have yet to find any station here that doesn't, there for a while the Sunoco stations didn't, but that changed before I knew it.

Try this link to see who in your area sells Ethanol free gas
http://pure-gas.org/

Last edited by dope_man_21; 04-16-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:36 AM
CroK
Banned

I'd have to travel so far to get clean fuel, I'd have to fill up again before I got home...

Old 04-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/hom...r-engines.html

Here's what blended E10 & E15 ethanol gas can do to your small engine carbs...
Two problems I see,,,the ethanol it's self,,,and the collecting of moisture.
Oh yeah,,,my tax dollars subsidizing the Corn industry.

Last edited by Sam D.; 04-16-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:05 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

We just removed a tank from a 02 RK that sat for a few years...Wish I could post pictures of the inside of the tank...rust with the HD coating peeling away. Was so bad we had to order the guy a new tank...I would have tried POR 15 first but the customer is always right...He wanted a new tank...

Quick Reply: Ethanol and rust in your tank..