General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

added benefit of FF helmet I did not know..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

You've got to let it dry out . . . . ab-so-lute-ly com-plete-ly . . . . wipe the inside of the face shield with a fresh slice of onion and then let it dry . . . used to use this on my SCCA race car when even Rain-X wasn't enough . . . . also a spray fromn SCUBA Dive Shops (Bull Frog) for SCUBA Masks works really well but is fairly spendy . . .

Originally Posted by oldbiker771
I would like to try and benefit from a FF, but I apparently make more moisture than other people. Even a 3/4 with a flip down that I leave partially up will fog over, even while moving. Ive tried various chemicals to prevent fogging, but to no avail. A beanie helmet and safety glasses are my only option. I would welcome a recommendation for a functional anti-fogging material.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:33 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Yea no more fog but what about all the tears?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:47 PM
HDMarkyB
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if ya ever need a new FF helmet-try a Scorpion. I own a Shoei now which fogs easily but no matter how hard i 'tried' to make that Scorp' shield fog no dice! Couldn't believe it...

Old 04-15-2010, 12:33 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtwice
true dat

Funny story about that...every time my wife would be on the back in the past when I was wearing a beanee helmet...I could hear her back there laughing her *** off as I was cursing with each stinging pelt. The louder I became, the more she laughed. Awww ain't love grand!
Man I thought my wife was the only one that did that. I turned to her one day in the pouring rain and asked her WTF she was laughing at. She busted up even more and managed to say something about the water running off my helmet and down inside my jacket collar.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always had a FF on when it rained, this year i got caught in a downpour with my half helmet and goggles and half the time i could not honestly tell you if i was on the road or out to pasture, i could not see S#!t..my FF is much much better, keep a good shield on it, RainX it and man your good to ride all day in the rain..as far as a FF fogging up, just barely crack the shield open, maybe 1/4" to allow fresh air in around the shield and the fog will go away.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:49 AM
SoALposer
Tourer

What FF helmets have good, I mean 98 degree, 85% humidity good ventilation? I have tried to wear FF in the summer but the rain on a clear day sitting at a traffic light is near unbearable.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 AM
RubiconFL
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoALposer
What FF helmets have good, I mean 98 degree, 85% humidity good ventilation? I have tried to wear FF in the summer but the rain on a clear day sitting at a traffic light is near unbearable.
Check out the Bell Star, it was wind tunnel/water tank tested to insure maximum ventilation.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:51 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

With a windshield, no helmet has good ventilation...

Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

In really heavy humidity days here in Florida we'd take a little piece of 200 mph tape and roll it into whatever diameter we wanted with the adhesive to the outside. Then we'd stick it into the groove where the eyeshield met the hemet, usually at the front center. This would keep the shield from snapping down tight against the helmet and let some extra air blow in to keep the shield clear.

It helps to have an almost new shield for the rain too. The fine scratches you get on the Lexan from sand and whatever will hold water distorting your vision, especially when looking at something bright, like the sun or headlights.

The last thing in the rain is not to use tear-offs on the shield. Water will get behind the tear-off and really mess up your vision. It's like looking through clear gelatin.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 AM
will227457
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txegliderider
Another benefit is a full face helmit eliminates the need for both of these:

http://www.secondfaceon.com/Mask_Selections.php

http://www.solidstatecovers.com/?ref...FRBM5Qodsyc8PQ

no straight guy wears these right?

Quick Reply: added benefit of FF helmet I did not know..