General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Horse Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Iron Horse Magazine

Anyone here ever read Iron Horse magazine in the '90s when Dave Snow was the editor? Great stuff from a writer that knew and understood Harley history. The mag also featured columnists like Scott "Genghis" Wong and Flynch, etc. Not to be confused with "The Horse", which was (is) a pale comparison done by different people altogether.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:34 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
Anyone here ever read Iron Horse magazine in the '90s when Dave Snow was the editor? Great stuff from a writer that knew and understood Harley history. The mag also featured columnists like Scott "Genghis" Wong and Flynch, etc. Not to be confused with "The Horse", which was (is) a pale comparison done by different people altogether.
Great magazine back then. I heard Genghis left under bad circumstances but never heard why. I liked his columns. The only thing I really like about the new "Horse" is George the Painters columns. They should get rid of Hammer. And get rid of those Jap chops they like to feature that look like they were built by 12 year olds with no fabrication skills.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i yhink "the horse" is the phoenix version of iron horse isnt it??

Old 04-14-2010, 12:08 AM
REVL33
Tourer

Yep still got a whole bunch of them sitting around .

Old 04-14-2010, 12:18 AM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not everyone wants a HD based chopper. I know a few guys like that.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:20 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I had been reading Iron Horse since it first came out and I still have almost all of the issues released. Great resourse of information in those old mags. I still keep up with The Horse as it is now and I go to the events that they put on because they are a freaking blast. As for the difference between the two mags, well it's Apples and Oranges, really. But it is still about the home builder. As for non-Harley Choppers, I really love to see some Chopped out British Steel sleds being featured in the mag and BTW, please tell me where else are your going to see that kind of stuff nowadays? Easyriders... HAHAHA, yeah right! I enjoy the creativity of the home builder no matter what engine they choose to use for their project and there really isn't any other mag out there that promotes that kind of stuff that I know of other than The Horse. The Horse may not be the most perfect Chopper mag out there but I don't know of any other mag that has the focus of the home builder as it's core.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Campingout
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used to grab it at the magazine rack all the time. Enjoyed reading it, had a bunch of copies around for years, but finally tossed them. Weren't they the ones that promoted "flip the patch" on the MoCo? Didn't they have a young lady that rode her bike all over the US and partied with people and wrote articles about it?

Old 04-14-2010, 05:51 AM
russell6hp
Tourer

XLCR nailed it.

The Horse might feature more chopped up Harleys if you could get an HD basket case for less than 3K...a rare find these days!

Old 04-14-2010, 11:31 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by XLCR4GM
Yes, I had been reading Iron Horse since it first came out and I still have almost all of the issues released. Great resourse of information in those old mags. I still keep up with The Horse as it is now and I go to the events that they put on because they are a freaking blast. As for the difference between the two mags, well it's Apples and Oranges, really. But it is still about the home builder. As for non-Harley Choppers, I really love to see some Chopped out British Steel sleds being featured in the mag and BTW, please tell me where else are your going to see that kind of stuff nowadays? Easyriders... HAHAHA, yeah right! I enjoy the creativity of the home builder no matter what engine they choose to use for their project and there really isn't any other mag out there that promotes that kind of stuff that I know of other than The Horse. The Horse may not be the most perfect Chopper mag out there but I don't know of any other mag that has the focus of the home builder as it's core.
XLCR, The new "CycleSource" magazine reminds me of what the old "Iron Horse" used to be. Homebuilt chops and not just Harley based bikes. really good fabrication articles, Let me Clarify my first post. I like old British chops and jap chops. I think it wouldn't take a whole lot of effort to find better bikes that what the Horse has been putting in print. A few issues ago, A Honda chop that had 1 1/2" pipe very poorly welded on as "forward controls" and spray painted silver. Come on, give me a break!!. I go around to some of our local bike swapmeets (Like Cowtown South Jersey) and see way better British and Jap stuff in the parking area (not the "Show") than what I've seen lately in the Horse. I've seen some really nice done-up bikes, some pretty clever mounts and brackets as opposed to plumbing pipe poorly stick welded on to your bike and called forward controls. I know a lot of home builders (myself included). You can get a pretty effective MIG welder for about $500. When I was 12 I had a stick welder given to me. Some of those bikes I've seen in the Horse reminds me of what I might have built quality-wise at that age of 12 with that old welder.

You can find basket case harleys for under $3K. you just have to put the effort in to find them. I picked up my girlfriends Sporty for $2,500. Although a little over $3K, My Softail avatar started out as a Heritage with a lot of accesories. I bought it for $6,300 then sold off over $1,500 worth of bags, chrome, paint set...etc. There is about $5K into it as it sits.

The picture is my old 69 Beezer chop. I sold it just about a year ago. I've owned it many years and passed it on to it's next happy owner. I just couldn't let it sit in the corner of my garage when someone else could be out enjoying it. I'm currently waiting to get my 1982 KZ750 frame back from getting a hardtail section welded on. That's my next project.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
...The only thing I really like about the new "Horse" is George the Painters columns. They should get rid of Hammer...

Quick Reply: Iron Horse Magazine