General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a bike sight unseen..would u ever?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:24 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get it up to the NC/Va state line, even as far as Greensboro, I will drive it to Michigan in return for a plane ticket back, and you pay for gas and grub on the way up. I have a sister in Lansing I haven't seen in 2 or 3 years. No kidding here. I am unemployed until the middle of May, and have the time. Can give references, been riding for 30 years and no accidents on the road. I may could find a ride toward Wilmington, anything is possible. Work on it! Give me proof of insurance, and we could get this going, in all seriousness.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:04 AM
RKMCOSCAR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kingofsand21
You said in later posts that you were now looking at a street glide make sure you know what you want before you buy it that 05 RK is carb where the FHLX is EFI just saying before you spend that nest egg make an informed rational decision. .
Thank you KINGOFSAND!! thats the kind of info I am looking for!! your right I do not want a carb I want EFI!! Thats why I am posting here! I want to buy they Bike of my dreams! My last Purchase for many years!! I think I am leaning towards a new Bike...leaning towards 2010 street glide..but still like the road Kings too!! its tough with all these Models to know the differences between them all! thanks Again! are most dealers gonna be about the same price on new Models or should I get qoutes from several dealers??

Old 04-14-2010, 07:15 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try doing some demo rides at any dealership to see what bike fits you best.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:30 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't buy a used bike sight unseen from anyone except a 2000 year old carpenter with 12 followers. By the way, one of the latest scams is to show up with a phoney cashiers check from a bank you don't know, and when your bank requests funds, none there, bikes gone and the guy was a fake.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Kidharley
Cruiser

I am in the process of buying one unseen. I had the local HD dealer run through their tests and drive it. Also my sister lives 5 minutes from the bike, so she and my brother in law went and took a look at it. They also took 35 pics so I could get some upclose shots. It leaves California today and I "should" get it next Wed. I'll let you know how it went.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:56 AM
redling36
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RKMCOSCAR
Bike is in Castle Hayne, NC
It's a ways from me. I am in South Carolina but just minutes from Charlotte. Sorry, I would have been happy to go look at it for you if it were a bit closer.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:22 AM
J-Train
Cruiser

I at first was sketchy about buying my bike without actually physically seeing it. The dealer I brought if from lived 4 hours away from me which was nothing to pick it up or look at it. I found it on ebay put the 500 deposit down, and then drove to where the bike was located, looked at it first inspected it started her up and drove it around going through all the gears.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 AM
nilro
Road Captain

I bought mine sight unseen, but it was a brand new bike. The dealer even offered me a trade in price on my old bike sight unseen as long as I did not misrepresent my old one. I showed up on the old one, they said looks good, I tossed them the keys, handed them the title, and rode home on the new one.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 AM
quentin2009
Tourer

I bought my bike sight unseen from wwwsellharleys.com (American Motorcycle Trading Company). I was nervous as hell, even street view googled them and phoned neibouring businesses and inquired about them. In the end they under sold and over deliverd. the bike was awsome. I did not want to buy unseen privetly, had to be a company that had standard inspection before they bought the bike ( probably better than I could do looking at it). They also took thousands less than it was listed for. they shipped it the 2400 miles for $500.00 showed up on time and they even loaded it and tied it down in my truck(Federal Shipping) Dont know if I could buy unseen again as I felt it was a big risk but I would buy from them again.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 AM
quentin2009
Tourer

Originally Posted by nilro
I bought mine sight unseen, but it was a brand new bike. The dealer even offered me a trade in price on my old bike sight unseen as long as I did not misrepresent my old one. I showed up on the old one, they said looks good, I tossed them the keys, handed them the title, and rode home on the new one.
Just curious why the map shows Canada on the map of the US, whats up with that?

Quick Reply: buying a bike sight unseen..would u ever?