General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a bike sight unseen..would u ever?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:55 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

thats too much... ill ride my bike too you for 14000....

Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RKMCOSCAR
heres the deal Im in Michigan... the bike I want is in North Carolina!! 1100 miles away!! Ive seen many pics and its a 2005 Road King with 7500 miles on it looks really nice!! but do I have it shipped sight Unseen or drive down and take her home..man its a long haul!! Scarey to buy something without riding it..hearing it run or sitting on it and trusting someone with the $14,000!!! any thoughts ...on another note..know any good cheap shippers who would ship something like this?? anyone here from North Carolina who wants to go look at it for me?? LOL Figures ya always find what u want half way across the U.S.!!
Hmmm ... I bought my 05 RK classic for 14K 2.5 yrs. ago. Bike had 8K. 7500 is low mileage and the bike should be decent but 14K sight unseen? Is it loaded with options? Warranty is likely up on the thing. Mine just ran out. I've put about 30K on it now, so I know I got a good deal.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Photobiker
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 07 Train from a car dealer in Omaha and I live in Canada. I did feel a bit more secure in the fact that it was at a large car dealer. I would not have bought it from a person thou. Had to get a recall done prior to being able to bring it into Canada, they got it done promptly and I have not had any issues with the bike. They delievered it to Minot and drove down and picked it up there. I guess it all depends on if you trust the seller, that was my issue, not the bike.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 PM
kingofsand21
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would fly out with the cashiers check to buy it and ride it back that way just incase something you dont like you can always back out and save yourself from a mistake and if you do buy it you get to take your first roadtrip back on your new hog. You said in later posts that you were now looking at a street glide make sure you know what you want before you buy it that 05 RK is carb where the FHLX is EFI just saying before you spend that nest egg make an informed rational decision. Even if you have to wait a little longer it is worth it in the long run to get what you want at a price you can afford.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:02 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought mine site unseen, but it was new and was at the dealership. A used bike, NEVER.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i have bought a couple of dirt bikes that way!!turned out fine

Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 PM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my new 2009 XR1200 before I ever saw one. I had only seen some pictures of what they looked like and none of the dealers had one to look at so I went ahead and ordered one and was very happy when it showed up. The dealer even asked me if they could display the bike for a week so that other people could see what they looked like because nobody had one at that time. Turned out to be one of the best bikes that I have ever owned.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your time and find a better deal. Even with the detachable fairing and apes it's not a screamin' deal. Not even average IMHO.

Now if you were payin' $12k that would be different. Still; there are lots of deals to be had. Check ebay to see what similar bikes are selling for.

Also; this is the worst time to buy. Prices are always higher in the Spring. Wait a couple of months and prices will come down.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:38 PM
HDMarkyB
Road Captain
Default Used and AWESOME!!

I just did that as well. Mine came from Michigan (interestlingy enough huh?) Battle Creek HD shipped my Fat Bob sight unseen other than photos to upstate NY to a local dealer. They also negotiated a great deal that included the shipping with no other fees whatsoever.I'm not saying that is the normal procedure but it sure worked for me! Best deal i have found yet on a similar bike. It arrived in flawless shape and i absolutely LOVE this bike. Motor sounded great and compared to others i had rode and seemed a bit more peppy.(confirmed by a few HD riders) Trusted dealer in my book and great to work with. Ask for Shannon and see what they have to offer-I'd give them 4.5 stars outta 5 for sure!! 269-979-2233. EXTREMELY helpful folks and a great deal on a fantastic bike!!
Good luck! Any other questions-PM me. Be happy to tell you my 'story'

Old 04-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

Keep looking or leverage this guy down a couple of thousand. Fly out check it out, ride it home. The price is a bit inflated. In todays market, you should be able to cut a better deal, than that.

Quick Reply: buying a bike sight unseen..would u ever?