General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a bike sight unseen..would u ever?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a bike once from Florida..I live in Washington...Got lots of pictures and found a forum member that lived nearby to check it out.I had it shipped because it was January.Worked for me..I rode that one for 9 yrs.My Bank transfered the funds once they were assured by the shipper that they had the bike on their truck.. What worked was lots of comunication...phone calls as well as email and pictures...I would look locally first tho.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought my 99 Softail custom off of e-bay a year ago. It was 500 miles away in Texas. The pictures on the bay looked really good, and it had everything on it I wanted. So I bid on it and won. My son and I took his bike trailer to Texas, and picked it up. To make a long story short, I got a great deal. The bike had 17,000 miles on it, and was in almost new condition. Not a scratch or chip anywhere. The seller was the nicest guy you would hope to buy anything from. After the deal was made, he even thru in a new Dunlop rear tire. He made me take it for a ride before he would accept the check to make sure it was what I wanted. I have put 4500 miles on it, and it runs flawlesly. I paid around $2,000 less than what most were going for. So maybe I was just lucky, and maybe a little naive, but it worked for me.

Attached Thumbnails buying a bike sight unseen..would u ever?-harley-with-new-seat-007.jpg  
Old 04-13-2010, 02:20 PM
redling36
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is it in North Carolina?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Pops
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way would I do that! There are a number of good folks here on the Forum that would probably be willing to check it out for you. I recently contacted a member in Arizona with a request for him to make a ride 200 mile round trip to check out an engine part for my 49 ****** Pickup. I payed for fuel and lunch for him and his wife.They were willing to do it for free but I insisted. Based on their opinion, I purchased the part. I also sent a couple shirts from Alaska.

There are some great folks on here....

Old 04-13-2010, 02:31 PM
RKMCOSCAR
Cruiser

Bike is in Castle Hayne, NC

Old 04-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I probably would in the end have to go there and see it.
My luck there would be something stupid wrong like a scratch or a dent someplace that only I would find it and if the bike showed up with this I'd probably get pissed off and wished I'd seen her first.
Just my 2C

If you can get there...get there...if you cant...why even ask. Right? lol

Old 04-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

[QUOTE=cadman311;6561528]$14,000 on 05 RK is not real good deal. A dealership like mikes could deliver it for that price.

That's too much money for a '05 RK. Retail is under $13k. Trade is $10k. But the pics posted are not a RK unless it's been changed a bunch. Looks like a EG.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

I did it. I bought my 98 Road King (used bike) on Ebay from a guy in North Carolina and I live in Alabama. It was an 8 hour drive. All I saw were the pics and description. It was exactly what I was looking for and considering the mileage it had (2,500) I wasn't too worried about it.

I rented a Uhaul and trailered it home. It was unlicensed, uninsured, and the title wasn't in my name so I thought that was the smart thing to do. When I picked it up it was everything that I expected so no problems there. I could have backed out (with difficulty) if the seller misrepresented it. I had only paid him a deposit for it prior to picking it up.

I don't think I would want to buy a bike and have it shipped home, paid in full without seeing it in person.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:35 PM
pjmoraldo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like the best advice IMO
Originally Posted by nevil
If you can't make that happen, try to locate a nearby dealer or indy with a good rep and pay someone to look it over.
If it was me, I would buy a one way ticket to NC and ride it home.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:00 PM
eisterd
Road Captain

it's over by wilmington,nc. I'm sure somebody on here will respond to ya from that area. IMO that's not a deal worth the risk of sight unseen. but, if your heart is set on it, you could fly into wilmington in 3 or 4 hrs from you and get to know it on the way home. that would be cheaper and more fun than shipping it. not to mention alot less stressful. good luck

Quick Reply: buying a bike sight unseen..would u ever?