Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Chopper

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Greywolf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Chopper

Well I'm sure a lot of bikers out there don't care much for the OCC crowd but I do have to give them some credit. I had sold my old Ironhead to get enough money together so I could get out of the mobile home I was living in to buy a house. Well the years just seemed to fly on by me with no scoot. Every time I would see a bike on the road I'd just feel a bit sick. Then I started watching the American Chopper show and yeah the blood flowed again I could feel the wind in my face, bugs in my teeth and figured, hell and went out and purchased a new bike. Thanks to the OCC crowd and Discovery channel's Biker Build Off I'm back in the wind but the bugs sure don't taste the same.

Old 06-05-2005, 04:45 PM
rpoteau
Cruiser
Default RE: American Chopper

You have got to love the antics of Paul Sr. bitchin out everyone in the shop. I really like some of the bikes they do, more of the old school stuff, but the newer bike like the shelby and i-robot bike. There is nothing like looking at the talent of their builds to inspire you to buy something. Congrats on getting a bike and getting back to riding.

Old 06-05-2005, 07:38 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You know the old saying, once a swinger always a swinger, I think the same applies to bikers as well.

John TN

Old 06-05-2005, 09:21 PM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm ok with them as long as I keep in mind most of what they are doing is for the camera. I enjoy seeing what they build but I'll take my Heritage any day for riding.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:07 AM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to watch it every now and then. You are right, Paul's antics can be quite amusing. The bikes are interesting but not my style. As far as custom builders, I am more partial to Indian Larry's rides.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:40 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

ORIGINAL: SKJOLD

I like to watch it every now and then. You are right, Paul's antics can be quite amusing. The bikes are interesting but not my style. As far as custom builders, I am more partial to Indian Larry's rides.

I will agree with you. Not to take anything away from the OCC crowd or this post, but I was and still am an Indian Larry fan.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Greywolf
Cruiser

Yeah, Indian Larry was one of the best and I do like the bobber style better than the full stretched out choppers. We grew up turning our bikes into bobbers, the choppers where never affordable nor practible back in the 60's & 70's but we would run up to Finch's or Carlini's to check out all the cool stuff.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Rubberduck
Cruiser

I agree...OCC makes some artistic and very interesting creations...but at the expense of function. I like Indian Larry's creations because his design philisophy leaned more to the mechanical funtion of the bike...which is more my "cup of tea". You could actually ride Larry's bikes for more than a city block. To Larry...RIP.[sm=grinangel.gif]

Old 06-06-2005, 11:44 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have pretty much quit watching American Chopper. It seems like the last few times I watched it, there was only about 20 minutes of bike building. The rest was commercials, arguing, skeet shooting, trips to the dentist and a bunch of other BS. I like to watch them build bikes, not watch Mikey go get a root canal.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

An aquantance of mine did a few days work in and around their shop this spring installing some new equipment. It was interesting hearing him talk about the experience after he got back. He said that they are nothing like what you see on the tube. Mostly, they are all just laid back enjoying it all. The shop has become a tourist/groupie attraction, which might cause some aggrivation upon occasion.

Quick Reply: American Chopper