General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here work for the MoCo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone here work for the MoCo?

Just wondering if anyone here works or has worked for a dealership. I have rental property that pays the bills and sometimes have alot of free time. I had an offer from a dealership about 50 miles away (next closest is about 35 miles away) as a parts salesman. I gave it some thought but from what they want to pay and driving an hour to work and back an hour after work, I don't know that it makes alot of sense to take the job. I considered applying for a position at selling bikes. I figured they made a little more. Am I wrong about that? Sorry if you feel that's a personal question. You can pm me if you'd like to let me know what I could expect and don't want to post it for the everyone on the forum to see. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

might be interesting for a while??

Old 04-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lucky to be you. I would do either if I had the opportunity that you have. Selling would be cool if your really into that. Parts is a bit less stressful as your less likely to be put out to pasture if you don't make a sales quota.
The thirty five minute drive wouldn't be so bad. But loads of people drive much further.
jus sayin! (-:

Old 04-13-2010, 12:22 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All depends on how the dealership pays it's people. Never worked as either a parts or sales guy (I do the wrenching), but I'm friends with guys that do both. Just like anything else the sales guys that are good at their job do well, those that aren't usually don't stick around too long. Most of the sales positions at dealerships I have known have paid straight commision (usually with some kind of draw). Parts is usually more consistent. Rented a room to a guy at the dealership that worked parts to service and he made good money when service was busy and got by when it was slow.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:02 AM
casper gomez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's an opinion out of left field: if you have the free time try to go and do either. a man likes to have a job, and these jobs look enjoyable. at least from my point of veiw. if you take either job you will probably be able to enjoy some kind of employee discount when you need to add bling or get service work done. a nice perk indeed!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Here's the deal. I was told the part guys make $10/hr and no commision. Let's say I work 8 hr day so I make $80/day. Now subtract taxes and the road to work has a toll gate that's $1.50 each way. I'm 50 miles from home so I have to eat lunch out everyday. Let's say that cost an average of $8/day (I'm a good size guy and I like to eat). I'm guessing I make about $45/day when you figure tolls, lunch, taxes and wear an tear on vehicle including gasoline. I don't want to work 6 days a week because I have a family and I don't have to, to make ends meet. So I'm thinking partimer in parts or full time selling bikes (I don't know what salesman makes but the dealership is closed on Mondays and it's illegal to sell vehicles on Sunday in our state hence 5 days a week). What do guys think?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:30 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I worked at a dealership.
Didn't like the owner, and quit

Old 04-13-2010, 07:38 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Try and see it for yourself with the support of your family. Like it or not...You can always decide at a later date if it's worth your time and money.

Thorey

Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by schumacher
I worked at a dealership.
Didn't like the owner, and quit
I have similar concerns. I like almost all the people at the one 50 miles away and I don't want to burn any bridges. The dealership that's closer has some major douchebags working in it.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

I never worked for a Harley dealership, but I did sell Hondas part time during my college years. I made good money, especially during the busy spring buying season. I was commissioned and had a small base salary. There's definitely more money in sales than parts. The downside is customers can sometimes be hard to deal with. You have to be immune to bulls*it.

Quick Reply: Anyone here work for the MoCo?