General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone here ever "detuned" a motor???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

It's an 09 so its injected. He has so much low end response mainly because he has a cam with a 42 degree closing event with a 113" motor in a dyna. Those 400 wood cams were designed for MAX torque early , so his bike is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, he just doesn't want the hit that low in the rpm range. The wood 9b with a 50 close or the the 9f with a 52 close, either set of cams will move that hit about 600 to 750 rpms higher and smooth it out , but he doesn't want to change cams. He will also gain hp and lose a little peak tq, his # will most likely be 125-130Hp and 130+Tq after cam change and tuning, ask Scott at Hillside for the details , I am sure he has seen this before.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Guess that is why I like my stock EVO motor so much. Out side of the drag pipes and air cleaner, she is stock, and is a great balance of power. It isn't real hot, or real slow, but the driveability is great.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:39 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Go with Blue highways suggestion. It won't add play to the throttle, just travel (making it less sensitive). It also isn't expensive and can easily be reversed.
You also might consider changing gearing. In my dirt bike days we'd swap sprockets (and adjust chain length).

Not the first time I've heard of someone with this issue (too much power). It is one of the few times I've heard an owner admit it and look for a solution. I think the typical outcome is to sell the bike or wreck it.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:44 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm not scared of that bike or anything like that but the power is hard to manage at times and group riding is a big challenge with it due to it's "jumpiness"(although not a word ). I'm going to call the builder and discuss with him what options there are. If he suggests a cam change then I will likely wait until the fall to do that but hopefully he can somehow mess with the power commander to take some of the snap out of it. I don't really want to sell it because of all the time and effort I have put into the bike. I would just prefer to figure out how to make it a little more manageable. Thanks again!!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM
soundman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your bike still have throttle cables, or is it tbw? I know my Ultra is tbw and I can change how fast the throttle plates follow the grip up to 2500 rpm by changing a parameter in the ecm map. Don't know if your bike has tbw, but if it does, you can change the throttle progressiveness as well.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:05 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah that's what you should do is call the builder for his recommendation. You could take some timing out of it. If he advanced the cam you could retard it a degree or 2. But really only he would know what he did and how he tuned it.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:11 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by qtrracer; 04-13-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wish I had a cam like that!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You stated that you have an hpi throttle body, not sure what that is. The problem you are describing is an oversized throttle body, example, if your engine requires a maximum of XXX CFM of air and your throttle body provides all of this by 50% throttle opening, you will have an on/off switch and not be able to finesse the throttle. Maybe their is an SE throttle body inbetween the one you have and stock. Like cams, it is better to error on the to small then the to large on TBs.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

The BMW K1200 puts out 115 hp stock. The Kawi Concours turns out 158 hp stock for a sport touring bike and I've heard complaints that some want a little more.

Three thoughts come to mind.

1) If the german, itallian or japanese make riders read this thread they are laughing their azzes off.

and

2. You may need more time to get used to the throttle response of the added hp. Have you ridden a sport bike in the past?

and

3. There may something else wrong. Throttle control comes to mind right at the top. Relax the tension a bit. Make sure it smooth. And, how about your clutch? Is it adjusted correctly?

Seriously I'm not poking fun. One of my previous bikes was a GSX and that had a twitchy throttle. It would easily pull the front tire coming out of a curve in 2nd or 3rd. After a while I didn't even notice it. Your touch adjusts to the equipment.

Last edited by Jonesee; 04-13-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone here ever "detuned" a motor???