General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I plumb my compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:17 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How do I plumb my compressor?

Well, Ive been buying tools and shop equipment for almost a year now. I'm wanting to eventually have all the tools (except a dyno) to do just about anything from building to painting and everything in between for bikes (minus machine work). My shop is limited on size (30' x 30'). You can see a little of it in the pictures under my albums in my profile. I've been buying quality tools but also trying to save money where I can. One example is my snap on bike lift. From snap on, it's about $4300. It looks almost brand new and I scored it shipped to my house on eBay for $1200. Anyway, I did a little homework and posted a thread here on the forums and after some suggestions and thinking on it, I bought a craftsman two stage 80 gallon air compressor. My next step is to plumb in the compressor. I've been doing a little homework on that now and have come here to get some ideas, suggestions ect. on how this should be done. I've been looking at some powdercoated pipe from a place online called garage pak. It looks really nice. It is aluminum pipe and poly fitting. It appears there are no threads on the pipe or fittings. I think you just cut the pipe to the length you want, slip on the fitting (no glue or anything) and it's that simple. You can get all different types of fittings that range from 90 degrees to 45's to T's ect. It's a little pricey though. So here is where I'm looking for so help is on plumbing the compressor in. Also, I've been looking at compressed air filters and desicant dryers. For those who know what this is, should I plumb this in right after the air compressor so all the plumbing always get clean air or should this be close to the end of the plumbing? Last but not least, these type filter air fairly expensive and I really don't know how long they last. Do air tools like air ratchets, impact wrenches, die grinders and DA sanders need air as clean as somthing like he ct plus system from camair provides or is that overkill and only needed for spraying paint or primer? Would it be feasible to just use an air cleaning system like that for all tools or should I plumb it some way where that type filtering is only used while painting and if so, would I need to always use a seperate (clean) air hose for painting? Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:22 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

answered in your other thread i nthe off topics section

Old 04-11-2010, 07:54 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the links, Danny.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:04 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last garage I just used pvc pipe and tapped the end caps for the connections.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

You really don't need the filter or dry air for your air tools. Do make sure you drain the water from the compressor tank regularly. As for painting - depending on what you're painting, an 80 gallon tank is possibly not enough (i.e. painting large areas, like cars, using a nice HVLP gun, like a Sata 3000). You should run the filter & dryer close to the spray area (away from the compressor).

Old 04-11-2010, 10:41 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do not run in PVC . it will work but is very dangerous. If something hits a pvc air line and breaks it it will grenade. I ran all my air in copper. drop lines come off the top of the supply line and all drops have water traps and drains. used 3/4 m for supply line and 1/2 for the drops.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerstu
do not run in PVC . it will work but is very dangerous. If something hits a pvc air line and breaks it it will grenade. I ran all my air in copper. drop lines come off the top of the supply line and all drops have water traps and drains. used 3/4 m for supply line and 1/2 for the drops.
That's how we did it at our concrete plant. It is perfect!!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:51 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree with using the copper.Wont rust and safer than PVC.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:56 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do not use PVC I would run it in copper pipe in a continuous loop and regulate and dry it at your drops and point of use .

Last edited by skydrifter; 04-12-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: How do I plumb my compressor?