General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 vs 25 update - reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Anniesage
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 vs 25 update - reasonable?

So, went back to dealer and worked with the warranty service guy. We start the conversation with him telling me that since I have the Stage 1 - the change out from 8 to 25 would not be covered by HD or the dealer since that is what was stated inthe bulletin - to which I said - please pull that bulletin up - the one from Freb 06 does not specify that point and in fact states all 1450cc. So, had THAT conversation again. He pulled up the service bulletin and read it word for word while I stood there - and then said- yea, well, we have tried that one with HD corporate and the five times we have submitted for their approval - they have denied us all five times.

So, then I say, if it wasn't a problem, why would they start using the 25 vs. the 8s. And why should I be penalized for purchasing my Softail in October 05 instead of in April 06? So, then the guy gets on the phone and calls HD corporate for 'assistance' in assessing this situation. And he calls and gets put on hold. He was in the hold que for over one hour and 10 minutes - and the entire time, I did not budge away from that desk.....I stood there that entire time - patiently waiting.

Finally, after he talks to someone at the corporate number - and the conversation lasts an entire 3 minutes, this is how it played out: The dealer is willing to do the change out --They have to put everything back to stock - then do the injector replacement and then recalibrate it. Since I have upgraded pipes, HD and the dealer say I have to pay for the recalibration after the stage 1 and my VH pipes go back on. ($200.00 total)....

Does this seem reasonable? I have to say that I was not about to drop this subject - they did offer to install a racetuner instead, but after reading about the 8 vs. 25 - I wanted the injector change out.

And like I said in a previous post - I want to thank all of you on this forum for all the help, advice and information that I had ...I couldn't have done it without you guys!

Old 08-07-2006, 09:21 PM
BaggerDave
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 8 vs 25 update - reasonable?

Sounds like you wasted 2 hours of riding time!

Old 08-07-2006, 09:46 PM
madcitycustom
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me get this straight. They agreed to do the warranty work, but because they will be recalibrateing the bike with aftermarket accessories, pipes and air cleaner, they will charge you $200? I think it sucks, but can see why they try to justify it. I think you should invest the $200 in one of the fuel tuners.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:13 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't believe they fell for your story, but if thats what you want good for you.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 PM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What I find funny or not so funny, is the stealers push
those upgrades like a bunch of drug dealers. I spent
an hour explaining I'm not putting anything on mine untill
I see whats out there. Man, I hope I don't go through
all that for warrent work. I'll probably be in jail for
assault.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anniesage,

That's total BS...

Here is the deal according to the bulletin. The service bulletin says they will make sure the flash matches the intake & exhaust setup. There is nothing about checking if the bike is stock or stage 1, just does the flash match the intake and exhaust setup. After that, they will check your spark plugs and fuel pressure. If all of these check out, they should change the injectors and UPDATE your flash. Period, dot.

If you bought a new vehicle from them and it isn't running correctly they, under warranty, are obligated to fix it.

Good luck and keep us posted...

Edmo

Old 08-08-2006, 07:07 AM
SanJo
Advanced

Agree with Edmo, B.S. they changed mine out and I have stage1 and slipons and did the download. ZERO cost to me. Of course this was the 2nd dealer I went to after the dealer I bought my bike from said they did the injector change, got it home, NOPE, didn't change them. I'm done with that dealer, I don't deal with liars.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:37 PM
cap_njack
Novice

I have a 06 wide glide, i have d&d slip ons and a s/e air cleaner, my bike runs terrible, the dealer Texas Harley Davidson told me I needed the 25 deg injectors. They promised me it would fix the problem.....Well guess what, it didn't my bike still cuts out misses sputters etc......and it cost me $212.00 for the download. now I have $424.00 in downloads and a bike that still runs like sh_t.......I put a pcIII on it and it still has a problem..not as bad but it is still there

Old 08-19-2006, 09:29 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

I left the dealer the day I purchased my bike with the Stage One and the Pro Performance Slashdowns out of the racing catalog. They tuned it with the SERT that I also bought that day. One month later right after the bulletin came out the 25° injectors were installed under warranty to correct a couple of problems I was having like the cold start problem. Your dealer is full of sh*t.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Fastlane
Tourer

Bad dealer full of chit. I have all that stuff, went in and came out with new injectors, no problem, just a thank you from me.

Quick Reply: 8 vs 25 update - reasonable?