General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when your stopped with a none DOT helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:16 AM
dietdewboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens when your stopped with a none DOT helmet?

Maybe some one here can settle an argument we're having. My girlfriend thinks that if your stopped with a none DOT helmet the police make you park your bike until you get an appropriate DOT helmet. I think the officer just gives you a ticket an your on your way. Who's right?

Living on the boarder of New Hampshire (no helmet law) and Vermont (helmet law state) We where talking about this over dinner tonight and are just a little curious. We ride both states all the time and always wear DOT helmets in VT.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Rocker_Ryan
6th Gear

In canada I got a ticket in a stop check, They took the helmet, wouldn't let me leave until a friend brought me a DOT helmet. won't ride with a non DOT again.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:32 AM
artz
Road Master

Being honest here. Been riding almost 40 years and have been only stopped once (about 28 years ago in Biloxi,MS.) I was never questioned on the helmet.
Crap is getting thicker by the moment on motorcyclists. I hear that more and more tickets are being given on the issues of loud pipes and helmets. Yesterday, I went out and bought an DOT-approved daytona skull cap. I don't want the hassle.
I can't answer your question, just needed to comment.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:35 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

legend has it that when they stop you in NY, they give you something like half an hour to get a DOT helmet on your head.

if you can't get one, they put your bike on a flatbed and you can go pick it up from the impound lot when you have said DOT helmet.

oh and after all that, you still gotta pay the ticket.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

She's right, sorry dude!!!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:57 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing that always makes me go WTF is in Arkansas you can ride a bike that does not have a seat belt, and you do not have to wear a helmet, but if you ride in a steel enclosed cage you have to wear a seat belt. Not on the subject, but WTF?

Old 04-10-2010, 02:28 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's nothing! I was driving my Volvo home one day last year while I was wearing my brand new Shoei Snell/DOT approved motorcycle helmet (to help break it in as I had just bought it at the Cycletech shop moments before) and a LEO pulled me over on PCH and did the past and priors on my license and TOLD me that I had to TAKE IT OFF! What kind of Bullsh*t it that? On a bike yes and in a care no! ????

Old 04-10-2010, 03:09 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by editbrain
One thing that always makes me go WTF is in Arkansas you can ride a bike that does not have a seat belt, and you do not have to wear a helmet, but if you ride in a steel enclosed cage you have to wear a seat belt. Not on the subject, but WTF?
Laws aren't really made to protect us. They're made to generate revenue and to control us. So of course, to sensible people like us, they don't make any sense. When the government says it's for our own good, it's really for their own good.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:27 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by dietdewboy
Maybe some one here can settle an argument we're having. My girlfriend thinks that if your stopped with a none DOT helmet the police make you park your bike until you get an appropriate DOT helmet. I think the officer just gives you a ticket an your on your way. Who's right?

Living on the boarder of New Hampshire (no helmet law) and Vermont (helmet law state) We where talking about this over dinner tonight and are just a little curious. We ride both states all the time and always wear DOT helmets in VT.
I would say you would probably get laughed at.

Roughly ~40% of head impacts in a crash are to the face and chin area. If you include the lower area of the head a skid plate helmet does not protect that adds another ~20%. Basically with a skid plate helmet you are giving up 60% of the protection you could have with a full face helmet. If it is non DOT approved you are getting even less protection for your brain than the DOT approved skid plate helmet. Guess it depends what your brain is worth to you.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:57 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DynaMightBuzz
Laws aren't really made to protect us. They're made to generate revenue and to control us. So of course, to sensible people like us, they don't make any sense. When the government says it's for our own good, it's really for their own good.
I couldn't agree with you more, couldn't have said it any better!!!

Quick Reply: What happens when your stopped with a none DOT helmet?