General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion, Split Fire plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Splitfires = Marketing.......don't bother

Old 04-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by King FLH
I remember reading about testing Smokey Yunik (great mechanical mind) did years ago when these things came out. His group found that they gave no performance edge at all, and actually promoted pre ignition due to the ground electrode had so much surface area, it would actually glow at the ends and pre ignite the incoming fuel/air charge under certain conditions.
Splitfires have been around for a long time now, so somebody's buying them.
Exactly. Found the same to be true when I was racing as well. I was fortunate enough to find this out on a dyno rather than the track. Splitfires are junk.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:07 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw a pic somewhere that showed a used splitfire plug, one piece of the electrode broke off and wedged between the valve and valve seat. Also showed the valve and the broken piece, you could see the impression on the valve sealing surface.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM
softail04
Road Master

from the pic your plugs look good

Old 04-09-2010, 08:21 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a story about the direction of the plug fire how well the engine will run. They do make the triple electro plugs also. Use in airplanes

Attached Thumbnails Opinion, Split Fire plugs-electrodetypes.jpg  
Old 04-09-2010, 08:54 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember, electricity is going to follow the path of least resistance. It doesn't matter that the end of the electrode is split or not. Great marketing gimmick, but so were the traveling medicine shows. Just use the stock plug HD recommends for the bike unless you've built up some killer motor, then use the right heat range for whatever compression you built.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:20 AM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
Remember, electricity is going to follow the path of least resistance. It doesn't matter that the end of the electrode is split or not. Great marketing gimmick, but so were the traveling medicine shows. Just use the stock plug HD recommends for the bike unless you've built up some killer motor, then use the right heat range for whatever compression you built.

+1. Same thing with the Bosch +4's. One electrode is going to wear out. Whichever is the path of least resistance. It's all marketing.

NGK and Autolite have been proven quality plugs in all ICE applications for many years. And they can be had on the cheap.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:33 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The FTC (Federal Trade Commission) cracked down on the company who makes Splitfire way back in the 90s, due to unsubstantiated claims, they could no longer advertise better mileage, performance and longer life. A new sucker is born every day.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cadman311
There was a story about the direction of the plug fire how well the engine will run. They do make the triple electro plugs also. Use in airplanes
I think what you are referring to is called "indexing". It's when you put a line on the external porcelain body of the plug that lines up with the tang on the business end. When you install the plug, ensure that line is pointing up at you after tightening. This in effect, puts the tang towards the head away from the piston. In my own worthless opinion, indexing is a waste of time. Especially when it comes to what all of us are doing. Smokey Yunick once said; You can spend your time indexing plugs, I'll drink beer".

Last edited by Ratster; 04-09-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:30 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratster
I think what you are referring to is called "indexing". It's when you put a line on the external porcelain body of the plug that lines up with the tang on the business end. When you install the plug, ensure that line is pointing up at you after tightening. This in effect, puts the tang towards the head away from the piston. In my own worthless opinion, indexing is a waste of time. Especially when it comes to what all of us are doing. Smokey Yunick once said; You can spend your time indexing plugs, I'll drink beer".
Actully we used to do this on our racing go karts but the idea is to use different thickness brass washers so when the plug is properly torqued the matal curve of the tang is toward the intake valve, that way any glowing chunk of crap on the end of the tang is away from the inrushing air/fuel mixture reducing pre-ignition.

Quick Reply: Opinion, Split Fire plugs