General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's not IF it's WHEN!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

This thread makes me miss my dirt bikes! Although it just occurred to me that I spent as much time maintaining them as I do my Heritage!

Old 04-08-2010, 02:28 PM
OceanTwo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's how it works:

If roll a dice (a 6 sided one) 6 times, the chance of rolling a 6 on any one of those rolls is relatively high (higher than 1 in 6 but not a guarantee). If you do not roll a 6 on the first 5 tries, it's still only a 1 in 6 chance you will roll a 6 on the last try.

So, the longer you ride, the more likely you are to be involved in an accident. It's the same for everything (even winning the lottery - the longer you play, the greater the chance of you winning at least once).

However, all things being equal, the chance of you having a mishap on day one is the same chance of a mishap on day 2000 - the previous mishap-free days have no bearing on the future outcome.

(Of course, there are caveats: however they are mostly under your control).

Old 04-08-2010, 03:21 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm 32 and have been on dirt bikes since I was 6. I have wrecked dirt bikes and quads, but not a street bike. I know it can happen, but I am very careful with my bikes and always watching for bad drivers or stuff in the road. Some go down alot-others never do. Just be careful and enjoy the ride.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:30 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by luv_my_harley
Why is everyone telling me it's not IF you wreck your bike it's WHEN you wreck your bike? Are the statistics that high that almost every person gets into a wreck on their bike? I mean, granted, I have had a few close calls but I haven't wrecked yet and I'm just wondering if my time is coming or if everyone is trying to put the fear of riding in me!
I wouldn't fly on a plane, ride in a boat or on a train if the operater told me "it's not
IF, but WHEN."
(Not everyone chokes on a hotdog.)

Old 04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride year around. I have been rear ended 4 times at stop lights. In the 70's I had one large crash and only left a 4"X4" of skin on my body. Learn alot from that one. Now in the dirt half the things on that list has been done and a lot more. Now I wear more protection in normal riding. I ride to work and ride at work for my work and ride after work and every weekend event. It's my way of life now.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:35 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by themensh
I wouldn't fly on a plane, ride in a boat or on a train if the operater told me "it's not
IF, but WHEN."
(Not everyone chokes on a hotdog.)
You have never been in the Army the first thing they tell you on there planes is how it will crash. And on there boats it's about the same way.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Fulano
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I've been following this thread the last little while. At lunch, I almost had a car rear end me at a stop sign. (I heard the screetch behind me and looked in the mirror.) The driver and passenger were both readjusting themselves and probably cleaning up their pants. I went about my way. Just another day in the life of riding the bike. 30 seconds later, a car almost turned into me trying to turn left. My horn alerted 'em and I'm still alive. Ya, pretty sure today reaffirmed to me that an accident will happen one day. And as careful as you can be, it will most likely not be your own fault.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulano
Funny, I've been following this thread the last little while. At lunch, I almost had a car rear end me at a stop sign. (I heard the screetch behind me and looked in the mirror.) The driver and passenger were both readjusting themselves and probably cleaning up their pants. I went about my way. Just another day in the life of riding the bike. 30 seconds later, a car almost turned into me trying to turn left. My horn alerted 'em and I'm still alive. Ya, pretty sure today reaffirmed to me that an accident will happen one day. And as careful as you can be, it will most likely not be your own fault.
Sure, it may not be your fault, but you can end up just as dead. Yours is a perfect example of what so many folks here have been talking about riding DEFENSIVELY. When I am stopped at a light or stop sign...my eyes are glued on the rear view mirror with my bike in gear and the clutch engaged.

Ride safe!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:50 PM
smcdmc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past 15 years I've dropped one twice in the parking lot, dumped one going down the road at about 30mph, and locked up the brakes and went into a skid at least twice to avoid an accident.
But it's all been worth it. If I could have looked into a crystal ball and known all that ahead of time i wouldn't have decided not to ride because of it.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff W
Probability is you will wreck sooner or later but thats not 100% obviously...the severity of the wreck is what is in question..it could be fatal, or it could be a broken bone, could be a skin to the knee or hands, could simply be falling over and scratching up the bike a little..there is just no way to say you will never wreck, there is no way to say how bad, there is no way to say for sure you will wreck. Some people ride their whole lives and never do any more than just dump the bike over on its side..some wind up dead or paralyzed.
Most wrecks are from doing stupid stuff, like standing on the bike while its rolling, pulling wheelies, and various other ignorant stunts that get you what you deserve, you cant ride like a maniac and expect to get away with it forever..but you can ride responsibly, stay aware at all times and be carefull and stay out of trouble..instead of drag racing through town, do the speed limit and watch for other drivers that might pull in front of you from a side street..watch your mirror for the person talking on the cell or day dreaming. slow down when taking corners to a speed that is "Safer" rather than diving into corners trying to drag your pegs..watch out for the little things like gravel, wet pavement, leaves, sticks, or anything that will pull a wheel out from under you...Really, if you control the bike, and control yourself you reduce posibility's of a wreck dramatically. It just boils down to common sense.

And I would like to add this...the Majority of bike accidents are minor, you walk away a little sore, ego bruised, but its minor stuff..i cant tell you how many times i have wrecked a Motorcycle, the count is way up there..been riding since i was 11..hospitalized once..but it was not life threatening...and out of all those wrecks all those years, I deserved what i got, i was riding beyond my ability and was riding stupidly.
Very well put my friend. I agree on everything, though I haven't wrecked yet and don't ride outside my ability and am not dumb about it either.

Quick Reply: It's not IF it's WHEN!