General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aging bikers at greater risk of injury, death

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

wonder how much we paid the University for that Grant to study this one..

most of this study could and does apply the same to auto wrecks...

Old 04-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Blargh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OceanTwo
......Back to motorcycles. Unless there is a significant increase in all auto accidents for the suspected age range, would this not demonstrate that age is *not* a significant factor? (while it is true that as we age our reflexes aren't as sharp as they once were, the age that this happens is significantly higher than what this study purports).

isnt a 22% increase in a decade significant enough to warrant additional interest in causation?

...The study found that of all injured riders in the study, those aged 50 to 59 represented the fastest growing group, while 20 to 29-year-olds were the most rapidly declining......
so older riders are the fastest growing group of injured riders, and younger riders are the group that is declining in injuries the fastest - sure seems like a clue to me

again, why get all defensive about it? Its just a study that produced results significant enough to find out if age is only a contributing factor to collisions (and severity of injury) or a cause of additional collisions. Yes, same for cars - but cagers can crash more with less injury than we can. Ultimately if age is a major factor all by itself, thats worth putting out there to inform new riders - still up to them to decide if they want to ride of course, and I put a lot into the type of riding each person chooses to do over age ...but you cant ignore that a hard charging young rider with fast reflexes and perfect eyesight may in fact be able to ride 'safer' (when only considering the bikers welfare) than an arthritic old timer with poor eyesight and slow reflexes.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by OceanTwo
For example:

Cars are dangerous.
Red cars are involved in more accidents.
Thus, if you drive a red car you are at greater risk, and if you *don't* drive a red car you are at lower risk...

Correlation =/= Causation.
Now if every body was driving red cars it makes sense that people driving red cars would be more likely to be in a accident.
Thats why these studies are not worth the paper they are written on.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:27 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
We're at greater risk of everything except getting laid!

Old 04-07-2010, 04:32 PM
riskmanager
Cruiser
Default Oh Please, get a life

First of all, do the research. The "research" is not made up of real medical statistics but is relaying subjective thoughts of the "researchers". It uses no data. The statements that we don't heal as fast etc, are not based in this "study" on facts but subjective guesses Also, the story of our society is that , yes, the baby boomers are getting older. There are more of in the 50 to 70 age bracket so it makes sense: there are more accidents because there are more of us.
The internet brings us the Forum, that is great. But it also allows stuff like this to get credence. Facts people; facts.
I have seen more statistics saying older riders are less prone to having accidents due to age, less recklessness, ability to buy the "safer" type bikes.
So, I say "poppycock" to this study. Now it's time for my advil for my arthritis, low cal dinner , no salt and what the heck is for dessert? JELLO!!!

Attached Thumbnails Aging bikers at greater risk of injury, death-velma-biker-babe.jpg  
Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to be morbid or anything, but when I go I want to go fists in the wind. That way I know I will hit the pearly gates with a big ole grin. I'm only 45 now, and can wait for a while, and think of worse ways to hit the exit!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Crusing
Road Captain

I am in the 60 plus range and know that I am not as strong, quick, resilient, plus I have some medical issues that come with ageing. So I can sit at home in a rocking chair and wait for the end or get out live life. After all life is but a journey and how better to spend it than on 2 wheels.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:20 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusing
I am in the 60 plus range and know that I am not as strong, quick, resilient, plus I have some medical issues that come with ageing. So I can sit at home in a rocking chair and wait for the end or get out live life. After all life is but a journey and how better to spend it than on 2 wheels.
I'm only 57, but I agree with everything ya said.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have read stats on this issue that had more of the reason why attached to it than just age.

Over half of the accidents are younger riders. Over half of the fatalities are older riders 40 and up.

Why? The typical fatal accident is more often not from the left turner but from an experience riders going too fast and coming to a turn. The rider locks the rear brake and goes off the curve into the ditch/tree/culvert/cliff whatever.

That has happened locally every year. U Tube has the video show the bagger passing a car on the Dragon and doing that exactly.

Too many don't understand counter steering and they don't trust the tires. They think that they won't make it and don't even try to turn.

The slowing of reflexes in the 60's and 70's is more of a myth than real. There is very little loss for those who maintain an active lifestyle.

The main cause of the accident rate is due not to age but to the fact that far too many who only have ridden cruisers are lacking in riding skills that are needed for high speed turning.

Last edited by lh4x4; 04-07-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:46 PM
NOLaFatBoy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
We're at greater risk of everything except getting laid!
Ain't that the truth!

Quick Reply: Aging bikers at greater risk of injury, death