General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aging bikers at greater risk of injury, death

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:32 PM
OceanTwo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Activity X is dangerous.
Correlate sub-set Y of population performing activity X with greater number of accidents/deaths.
Conclude that individuals that fit sub-set Y that perform activity X are at greater risk. Additionally, conclude that those who don't fit sub-set Y are at a lower risk.

For example:

Cars are dangerous.
Red cars are involved in more accidents.
Thus, if you drive a red car you are at greater risk, and if you *don't* drive a red car you are at lower risk...

Correlation =/= Causation.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:32 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well hell, I fall in line with those demographics so I'm gonna quit....

crashing not riding....

Old 04-07-2010, 01:03 PM
fxdcrusty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS2FLH
Oh great - my under 25 kids pay out the a$$ for car insurance now - even tho there are no tix or accidents. What does this mean - the insurance companies are setting us over 40 riders up for rate increases or the assigned risk pool?

It's always sumthin, aint it?
+1 on that! Get out your check books gentleman.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Blargh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by OceanTwo
Activity X is dangerous.
Correlate sub-set Y of population performing activity X with greater number of accidents/deaths.
Conclude that individuals that fit sub-set Y that perform activity X are at greater risk. Additionally, conclude that those who don't fit sub-set Y are at a lower risk.

For example:

Cars are dangerous.
Red cars are involved in more accidents.
Thus, if you drive a red car you are at greater risk, and if you *don't* drive a red car you are at lower risk...

Correlation =/= Causation.
is vehicle color at least a contributing factor? is it worth trying to understand why the numbers are going up in order to possibly lower those numbers? or should all the red car drivers just get butt-hurt that for some reason more red cars are involved in wrecks than the other colored vehicles, and shove their heads in the sand and/or plug their ears and yell "i'm not listening" while stamping their feet a lot?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:52 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I don't read anywhere about older riders being more likely to be involved in the accident just more likely to get injured (or injury being more serious), taking longer to heel and the possibility of other complications.

How do I get funding, I want to do a study about age vs. falling down stairs.
Maybe I'll just skip the study, change a few words in this article and sell it back to the newspaper.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:09 PM
artz
Road Master

Ain;t nothin' new about that news....
Just don't count me in as part of the study. :}

Old 04-07-2010, 02:25 PM
OceanTwo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boris Badenov
is vehicle color at least a contributing factor? is it worth trying to understand why the numbers are going up in order to possibly lower those numbers? or should all the red car drivers just get butt-hurt that for some reason more red cars are involved in wrecks than the other colored vehicles, and shove their heads in the sand and/or plug their ears and yell "i'm not listening" while stamping their feet a lot?
The reason (motorcycle accidents) was actually mentioned in the original post - an increase in older riders. While we all 'age' quite obviously, the increase in older people getting injured is because there is an increase in inexperienced older riders: age is irrelevant - experience is.

As far as the car color thing, this was an actual study (of how correlation isn't causation). The actual issue was that there is a propensity of sports cars - at the time the study was performed - that are red. But it went further than that: a red sports car cannot be the cause of or be involved in a highway accident. Unless someone is driving it.

Back to motorcycles. Unless there is a significant increase in all auto accidents for the suspected age range, would this not demonstrate that age is *not* a significant factor? (while it is true that as we age our reflexes aren't as sharp as they once were, the age that this happens is significantly higher than what this study purports).

Simply, this newspaper 'article' is pointing out a cause where none exists. In this case, just because you are over 40 does *not* automatically mean you are at a greater risk. Over the past several decades, scientific study has given way to political correctness and sloppy work, exacerbated by non-reporting (as in this case).

Old 04-07-2010, 02:30 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

i am sixty. i don't think my strength, eyesight, or reflexes are as good as they used to be. however my judgement is much improved and i usually ride within my level of skill. i also have a dnr signed in case needed.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:05 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior
Originally Posted by wildmn
I say Bull ****
Makes sense though, doesn't it..??

Slower reflexes, poorer eye-site, less resilient, and longer healing time after an injury when compared to someone younger.

All these things come with age whether you acknowledge it or not.
Hell, i'm a few months from 30 and know i'm not physically as sharp as i was 10yrs ago.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:12 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This weekend one of the rider has been riding for the past 6 months. He has 5k on mileage on his bike. He told use it all new this ride thing but at the age of 84 he has alot of time on his hands.

Quick Reply: Aging bikers at greater risk of injury, death