General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Darkside getting darker.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Red9
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Darkside getting darker.

Copied this from another forum.
Thought it might bring a few smiles.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

"I just mounted airplane tires on my motorcycle, they handle bumpy roads really well, have higher speed ratings than my TKC-8's and the rounded side walls help for cornering - not the abrupt edge bump feel you get with a true car tire.

I mounted up a Michelin Aviator 18" that was made for the A4 Skyhawk on the rear of my KTM and a 21" tail wheel tire from a C47 as my front tire. Luckily the KTM takes tubed tires so one I got them mounted (aircraft tire beads are very very tough) the bike looks almost stock, yet different. A deal breaker for some of you because the tires that fit motorcycles require tubes. The front tire can rotate either way so I hope to be able to manage cupping by rotating(turning) the tire on the wheel every 10,000 KMs

I am expecting excellent wet weather performance since the tires were designed for wet weather landings. The rear meets US Navy Specs for 1200 Carrier Landing Cycles before the tube needs to be changed. Does anyone know if one carrier cycle includes both one take-offs and one landing or does that count as two cycles?

The Front tire is a steering tire so has a wear bar indicated duty cycle shown - like a MC tire. It has a speed rating of 125 MPH well within the KTM envelope.

Based on my use I am expecting to get 4 -5 times the mileage out of aircraft tires than I got out of my TKC-80's

The MC seems to wander at lower speeds but grips well on the pavement at speeds over 50 MPH. Once I get the air pressure adjusted I am sure handling will improve even more ( I started out running 38/42 but now am running 68 front and 90 rear).

Those steel construction decks they put down on the road during construction are no longer slippery - I expect the rubber compound is adjusted to give wet traction on carrier decks, etc

I bought retreads so my cost was pretty reasonable 165.00 for both tires but shipping added 35.70 to Blaine,WA

I hope to post up pictures soon. My KTM which is all black with the large Aqualine tanks looks even meaner with the aircraft tires showing Military Spec in large letters on the sidewall.

A few of us are now running aircraft tires and we are hoping to have a Delphi forum up and running in a week of so.

Zoom Zoom"
__________________________________________________ _______________________

Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 PM
gill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Seems to me that this is no longer the "darkside" but now is clearly in the "Farside" territory. But to each their own. Kudos for creativity.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here it is ... Nice!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I've given up looking for the "right" car tire for my Ultra. No luck with lift truck tires either (was hoping those would put an end to the old tire patch/plug/repair vs replace debate).

Now I found a 16 X 4.4 -R8 tire with a 210 MPH rating. Think it would fit?

Also a comparison of car tire to aircraft tires in a real world heavy duty sidewall flexing application.
http://www.aircrafttyres.com/boat%20fender.htm

Also stumbled on to this but I'll probably wear out a few tires before its available.
http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=26&i=13111

Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior

I give up...

Old 04-07-2010, 06:27 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,280 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Who do I see about getting a refund from this thread?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:06 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Who do I see about getting a refund from this thread?
Plus 10 on this subject.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by carlgrover
who do i see about getting a refund from this thread?
send me your reciept plus 20 dollars shipping and handling fee and i'll ship you the refund asap.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh boy,the motorcycle tire guru's will have fun with this one.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:05 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know we all want longer life form our tires, but whats next? runnig airless solid tires from a brush hog? LOL! I mean come on-just run the right tires and don't worry about it. Motocycles are not meant to be practical and you have to pay to play-tires are just part of the payment to play.

Quick Reply: Darkside getting darker.