General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Saved My A$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:08 PM
bsea
|
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ABS Saved My A$$

If you go back and look at a previous post I made, I stated that I had some trouble in the past with being a little heavy on the back brake and it caused me to do a slow speed low side. That was on a 2005 Ultra and I traded it in on a 2008 Ultra Anniversary with ABS. Yesterday, it paid for itself.

I rode to work, beautiful day, supposed to be clear as a bell. Well, the weather guessers got it wrong. One heck of a gutter washing thunderstorm rolled through as I was riding home. I got the experience of pulling under the overpass and putting on the rain gear on I95 just as the worst of the rain got started. I got underway again and got about three miles down the road and decided to pull under another overpass because I couldn't see jack. While I waited, the rain slowed and I got going again...but the road was wet.

Pretty close to home I've got a switchback turn to negotiate. Everything was going well, not going too fast, using trail braking and just as I cleared the corner some idiot had stopped his car in the middle of the road. As I was trail braking, my first instinct (and wrong instinct) was to push harder on the rear brake while I straightened up the bike to stop. I heard and felt the ABS kick in and realized what had happened and applied the front brake properly. The idiot in front of me pulled away and we all went on our merry way. Without ABS, the story would have been different, and I would have again been picking up my bike.

ABS might not be for everyone, and some folks are probably better riders than I am and can make expert panic stops under any conditions, but they certainly saved me yesterday. Worth the price of admission.

Bill

Last edited by bsea; 04-06-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-06-2010 | 08:56 PM
monstead
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
From: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....

Glad to hear you're okay. Count me as a fan of ABS.

Old 04-06-2010 | 10:02 PM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 08 flhtcu with ABS,saved my butt before,worth the money.

Old 04-06-2010 | 10:11 PM
gill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you are ok. ABS is a wonderful safety feature. It has saved countless lives on cars, glad to see it trickling down and saving us from the cars!

Old 04-06-2010 | 10:25 PM
treefiddy
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

ABS to me is a love-hate thing, it has served it's purpose for me 2 up in traffic but has also felt way weird while briskly riding by myself and slowing at some intersections. I will not disable it at this time tho'.

Old 04-06-2010 | 10:35 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

They tell you in a panic stop to ease on and off the brakes. However in real life that never works. in a panic situation your brain tells you to keep pressing on the brake pedal (or Brake lever).

In Cars ABS has saved a lot of accidents, I sure wouldn't mind having it on my RK, That rear wheel locks up way too easy.

Old 04-06-2010 | 11:36 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
They tell you in a panic stop to ease on and off the brakes. However in real life that never works. in a panic situation your brain tells you to keep pressing on the brake pedal (or Brake lever).

In Cars ABS has saved a lot of accidents, I sure wouldn't mind having it on my RK, That rear wheel locks up way too easy.
Try adjusting pedal travel to allow a longer stroke prior to the brake kicking in,

I will definitely have ABS on my next bike,

Old 04-06-2010 | 11:58 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ButtMan1000
Try adjusting pedal travel to allow a longer stroke prior to the brake kicking in,

I will definitely have ABS on my next bike,
Thanks, It's worth a shot. I'll try it.

Old 04-07-2010 | 12:09 AM
monstead
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
From: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....

Originally Posted by PineyRider

If your rear wheel locks, do NOT ease on and off...easing off the rear brake restores wheel rotation and will throw you into a high side. If your front wheel locks up, let go of the front brake and then ease back on it.

Old 04-07-2010 | 02:06 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have ABS on my ultra, and will never own another bike without it...If they ever put ABS on a softail...the wife will get a new bike. Safety is an issue I won't compromise on.

Quick Reply: ABS Saved My A$$