Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:18 PM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep the Night Train !! I have a chopper with a 113" S & S stretched frame, 250 rear tire etc. and it is a hoot to ride but I would not own one and have that my only bike. If you can't swing both...keep the NT. Everyone is correct is saying you will be wrenching the Pro Street all the time. Mine has 10,000 miles on it from new and It has seen 3 ignitions, 2 starters, 2 sets of compression releases and has vibration issues with breaking small parts fairly often ( license plate brakets, horn mounts etc ) Would not give the bike up for the world right now but it is nice to have the SG to go on long comfortable rides with the OL too.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:46 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

You know you want it, so get it. Don't get it thinking it is an investment but get it because you want it and it is for your own personal enjoyment. Keep a little extra money for upkeep and check on insurance if money is tight. It looks sweet.

Good luck and just remember that if you really feel like you want it and can't stop thinking about it, if you don't get it, it will eat at you from now on. Such is the sickness of loving motorcycles.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eliems
Yes I just do short hops around town, (the train is no long distance ride either). This Pro Street is a rigid frame so even worse and I imagine that big Ultima would vibrate a lot?
Uhh...?? Will beat'cha ta death.....MO....I think the Train would ride farther,more comfortable....again,MO....Bro/law had an Iron Horse Outlaw....loved it....but after several 300+ ml jaunts, an' 1 trip to the Smoky's.....he was done.....an it was a Softail........it is an awsome look'r ,though........

Old 04-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Desertdog7
Cruiser

Well... That bike is freaking sweet!!! As long as ya dont plan on traveling too far.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 PM
first dyna 07
Road Master

Hey Man

My vote is keep the train .

Old 04-06-2010, 07:35 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

yep, keep the train

Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
eliems
Cruiser

Wow! You guys are talking me out of this.

New info: The bike was built by Vampire Choppers in Victoria (not some guy's basement). I spoke with the mechanic there who has serviced the bike and he tells me that other than the first service the only issue has been a clutch throw-out bearing. He tells me it is a very well put together bike and in perfect condition. (It only has 3000 miles on it now). The Ultima was a 2009 Crate motor manufactured in 09.

As fas long distances I have another sweet ride ...

so sore back and comfort is not an issue.

I am thinking that at this price I should be able to get my money back if I do want to sell it, the other choppers here are a lot more $$$. Also the 127 Ultima/ 6 speed should make this one attractive.

Regarding mechanical ... speaking with two local stores, they tell me these 2009 models have worked out a lot the issues over the years and this bike should run smooth and reliable for many tens of thousands of miles.

Personally, I am not a mechanic beyond simple maintenance stuff so this is the thing that scares me about a custom bike. Still, I would rarely be far from home and I have a motorcycle mechanic friend a few blocks away who has a great shop. They tell me parts are easy to get.

The Train is the sweetest bike I have ever owned, (and I have owned a lot of bikes), but that is exactly why I think this chopper would be a good choice for me ... just more of what I like in a bike!

I still have not arrived at a decision ... what to do?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a good buddy that bought one very similar to that one, with the Ultima setup, etc. He's a mechanic, so he really knows his stuff. He rides pretty hard, but he's had nothing but problems with his. Primarily the trans. He's had that thing apart nearly as much as closed. Just one thing after another. I'm thinking that motor generates so much torque that the trans just can't hold up to it. The other problems he had were motor mounts, and exhaust. Finally, he just sold it to get out from under it. FWIW, just thought I'd share his experience. Not sayin' that's going to happen you, just food for thought. I do know if he hadn't been a mechanic, he'd have a TON of $$ in repairs alone.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:59 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't take this wrong...actually take it as a compliment....

Looks like ya ain't hurting for money bro........get the pro street and enjoy the hell out of it.

You'll get another HD went this scooter wears off.......but ya have to experience this bike....you're talking yourself into anyways....

Have a blast bro!!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:41 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eliems
...the other choppers... I think this chopper...
Please, buy it if you want it, but know that a motorcycle manufactured by Vampire Choppers is a should not be confused with a "chopper". Nothing was chopped, cut, from an original motorcycle. The rear of the frame was not removed to create a hardtail, the other end of the frame was not cut & welded to cause more rake. Unnecessary weight was not removed. Their marketing department labeled it a "chopper", but it is a limited production motorcycle.
Long Live Indian Larry!

Quick Reply: Should I do it?