General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wife went down on new 883 Iron

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:54 PM
jdbush23
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wife went down on new 883 Iron

On her second ride, took a left turn to wide, paniced and turned to sharp, hit front brake and down she went at about 15 mph. I was in front of her so didn't see it, just heard it and stopped real quick picked the bike up and made sure she was ok. She had all her gear on and ended up getting a little road rash on her wrist, sprained wrist and sore chest and really really hurt feelings. The damage is a lower triple tree left stop broke putting the handle bar in the tank, left controls, shifter, tail lite, license plate frame, left peg, mirror and side engine cover. Anyone know how much a new lower triple tree and tank run in flat black? I am sure this won't be a cheap fix. Bad part is the bike has only 158 miles. Good part the wife is still willing to ride and will be OK. One last thing for those that were full face helmets, her chin on the helmet is all scratched, if she had open face like me she would have had rash on her face! I don't like them but makes me think twice about them now.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

Glad she is OK and not discouraged. Bikes can be fixed.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:03 PM
slvr_bullit
Cruiser

JD- Sorry to hear this. When my wife started riding she had a few events similar to this; never quite the damage you experienced though. Her ego was bruised but just some bent mirrors. I put engine guards on it so that might have helped.

Glad your wife is OK. You can likely find some parts on Ebay and have them painted.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much fun to kiss the pavement, new rider or not. You don't mention her overall riding experience or if she's taken a motorcycle rider course. Not a bad idea if she's never done something like that.

Glad there were no serious injuries and the best part, she's willing to get back in the saddle.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:20 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbush23
... for those that were full face helmets, her chin on the helmet is all scratched, if she had open face like me she would have had rash on her face!
........ we all like having having that open air feel while we ride, but one mishap & we'd'a gladly traded that feeling for a bit more protedtion. Glad she had on the full face, and that no more bodily damage occured !

Old 04-05-2010, 09:21 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Sorry I don't have any prices as you originally questioned but I'm glad your wife will be alright. I think we've all been there and done that ... no one is the exception.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to hear of her mishap but glad to hear she is "OK"...

Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad shes OK. Good luck on the bike repairs

Old 04-05-2010, 09:49 PM
09sungloflhx
Cruiser

same here mine started riding last year and tipped over going up the apron into the garage tried to stop halfway up and her feet didnt reach the ground not to bad but a few things damaged just a bruised ego more than anything

Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 PM
On Time
Cruiser

Glad she is OK

Quick Reply: wife went down on new 883 Iron