General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wife went down on new 883 Iron

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
Not much fun to kiss the pavement, new rider or not. You don't mention her overall riding experience or if she's taken a motorcycle rider course. Not a bad idea if she's never done something like that.

Glad there were no serious injuries and the best part, she's willing to get back in the saddle.
+1 on this post, make sure you replace her helmet since it has road rash on it as well.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:41 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad shes ok... I put my wife on a Buell. My wallet still thanks me, esp since she could care less about riding after trying it

Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awe poor thing. Remind her to NOT use the front brake on sharp turns. I always slow before with both brakes, release the front just before making the turn. This is sharp turns into parking lots and stuff not the highway. Bikes can be replaced or fixed, people cannot be replaced, we can be fixed sometimes. Good riding and b safe

Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Pelaez
Intermediate

Your wife is a badass for still wanting to ride.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sancho
Glad your wife is ok.
My wife went down on a 1200 low the 1st time she rode it. In fact she hadn't even moved it. She took a riders course, had her license and had been riding a Honda 750. We were in my driveway side by side, I pulled out first going slow and watching here in my mirror. All of a sudden I see her go over without moving. I go back and pick her up, not a scratch, pick up the bike, not a scratch, and she said she forgot to give it the gas. She never rode again and I sold the 1200 Low. I'm glad. I had told her it was a fast bike and I think that made her throttle shy.
Granted this wasn't funny at the time, but I'll bet you have had plenty of laughs while relating it to your friends...

Old 04-06-2010, 09:03 AM
RKCUSTOMBUD
Cruiser

jdbush23, Glad your wife is OK, fixing the Bike is just money.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbush23
took a left turn to wide, paniced and turned to sharp, hit front brake and down she went at about 15 mph.
A scuffed up bike is easy to fix. Bruises take longer. What happened to your wife is quite common to newer riders. From your description it sounds like she didnt LOOK THROUGH the turn and COUNTERSTEER. Then she braked. It may have been what I call reverting back to driving a car instead of riding a bike. If a car takes a turn too wide or too fast, the driver can do quite a few things that cannot be done in a bike, like induce more steer by turning the front wheels into the turn, rolling off the gas and braking. If a rider does any of those things on a motorcycle, especially using the front brake, the result is usually what happened to your wife. Now if a turn is taken too wide or too fast on a bike, the rider must induce more countersteer to get the bike to lean over more, apply steady or slightly increased throttle, and turn their head and look through the curve to the exit.

Perhaps she should practice cornering. Find a lone turn or curve with little or no traffic, and work on the basics of using BOTH brakes to slow, then getting OFF the brakes and setting up for an outside-inside path of travel, looking through the turn, and inducing counter steer with steady throttle all the way through. Work on it until she builds up enough muscle memory and does not have to think about it. Countersteering can be a difficult concept for some newer riders who still want to "Turn the front wheel into the curve" like a car. All that does is make them turn wider, which leads them to look outside, roll off the gas, pull in the clutch and apply the brakes, all of which will cause what happened to your wife.

Mark

Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pelaez
Your wife is a badass for still wanting to ride.
Truth!

Mine got spooked by seeing another couple take a spill. I'll give her credit where credit is due though. She still took the riders course, got her license, and we bought her a bike (Honda 750 Aero) which she tried to ride. Sadly, after a year of the bike mostly sitting in the garage we finally sold it with only 379 miles on it.

Props to the OP's wife for having the brass to stay in the saddle. I wish mine was that tenacious.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 AM
RoadKingLou
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad shes OK

Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad the wife is okay jdbush23...the ride can be repaired.

Good luck buddy!

Steve

Quick Reply: wife went down on new 883 Iron