General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I going to be sorry

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 AM
plumpbiker
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I going to be sorry

I'm about to replace my V&H true dual system with a Samson system with the 4"X30" mufflers. My reasons are that the V&H mufflers are too short and skinny, plus for me the sound is okay but not great. The quality has not been an issue, but I only have 1000 miles on it. I'd really hate to shell out the bucks for the Samson system if there will be quality issues. I can see from photos that the look and fit is going to be what I'm looking for. Samson has a sound clip on their website that I listened to, and that sounded better or at least as good as my V&H. I realize that asking this question is like opening a Ford Vs Chevy debate but I could use every bit of input I can get. These exhaust systems ain't cheap and you can't try before you buy. Anyone in or near S.E.Connecticut that is running Samsons that I can look at and listen to? That would be nice. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have only had one set of Samson pipes ever. They lasted about a year. Sound was OK, performance was not that great and the quality sucked. Would not get another set from them. Never had any issues with any of the V&H I have owned.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 AM
madjimmax
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound bytes on the internet never the way that they do in person, so if I was you I wouldnt let sway my decision. I had V&H slipons and I was never happy with the sound, but I think it was because how fat they are as soon as the packing starts to burn out they sound hollow. I took them off and replaced them with Rineharts and I've never been happier. They are so much more crisper sounding and since Rinehart dont use packing the sound never changes. I think you should check out the Rineharts yourself. They are pretty sweet and out of all the people that I know that has them I have not ever heard one complaint. Well except for a few people behind me when I decide to get on it.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

+1 on samson quality. V&H are about the best in quality

Old 04-05-2010, 06:48 PM
plumpbiker
Banned

Originally Posted by madjimmax
The sound bytes on the internet never the way that they do in person, so if I was you I wouldnt let sway my decision. I had V&H slipons and I was never happy with the sound, but I think it was because how fat they are as soon as the packing starts to burn out they sound hollow. I took them off and replaced them with Rineharts and I've never been happier. They are so much more crisper sounding and since Rinehart dont use packing the sound never changes. I think you should check out the Rineharts yourself. They are pretty sweet and out of all the people that I know that has them I have not ever heard one complaint. Well except for a few people behind me when I decide to get on it.
Am I wrong or are the only True Duals for Softails made by V&H, Samson and BuB?

Old 04-05-2010, 07:03 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The choice is clear.......

Attached Thumbnails Am I going to be sorry-vh.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 07:22 PM
plumpbiker
Banned

I was just looking at the Bubs again and noticed that they make a true dual system with longer mufflers for extended bags. I don't have extended bags, but I like the extra length. I'm not knocking the V&H product here. I've had their stuff before and have been pleased with it. It's just that the mufflers are too short and skinny for a bagger. Look at my bike, it looks like I got mini mufflers on there. The sound is okay and no problem with performance or quality, they just don't look right. I'd love to be able to just change to a larger, longer V&H muffler but I haven't found anything like that available. It looks to me like my choices are between Samson and Bub. I don't like the look of the Bossani duals, the way the left pipe is routed. The Bub info said their header pipes weren't smashed like the V&H. The V&H is the only system I've seen so I'd like to see how the other guys route the left header without mashing it.I want my exhaust to look like a touring model, long and beefy. Actually I wouldn't mind looking like that myself!