General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to ride in Northern Montana

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:56 PM
08rking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to ride in Northern Montana

We're riding to Montana in mid June and staying near Columbia Falls. Going to the Sun highway is definitely on our list to ride, but where are some other good day rides or overnighters? We want to head up to Banff, Lake Louise area also. I'm sure you guys will know all kinds of nice roads to recommend in the N. Montana area. Also, any suggestions on a nice return ride to Calif. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Dragan
Tourer

from Columbia Falls, pretty much pick a road, any road. You'd have to really work at it to find a ride that wasn't spectacular. Going to the Sun highway is a "must do". If you're heading up to Banff, you're in MY back yard. North through Whitefish, cross the border and head east to through Fernie. North on highway 22 to Bragg Creek, then west to highway 40 through the Kananaskis Valley on the way to Banff. (Columbia Falls to Banff on that route is about 6 hours riding time)
In Banff, tons of great rides...head west to Lake Louise, take Highway 1A just west of Banff townsite to Johnston Canyon, then on to Lake Louise. Morraine lake is 10 miles further up the same road past Lake Louise; it is a do not miss. Glacial flour in the water makes it the mst amazing color you've ever seen on a sunny day.
Of course, if you're that close, you HAVE to ride the Icefields parkway, ideally all the way to Jasper, but you can do the Saskatchewan River Crossing ( 1/2 way to Jasper) and back to Banff in a day ride.
the Icefields is, I think one of the top ten roads in the world for spectacular scenery. Lakes, mountains like you've never seen before, glaciers and a TON of wildlife...bighorn sheep, Elk, deer, bear, cougars...all on the road, sometimes at the same time.
Seriously though, plan on an extra day for that trip. Within 10 minutes north of the Transcanada highway, you'll understand why.
Going home, down through Spokane, the Tri-Cities, the Columbia River gorge, then follow the coast highway from Astoria all the way home.
We've done all of these roads many, many times. Drop me a PM and I'll send you a bunch of routes for the Canadian leg of your trip to consider

Old 04-04-2010, 08:19 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, Columbia Falls puts you right between Glacier NP and Whitefish. Whitefish has some cool restaurants and bars. So does Kalispell (to the SW) and Bigfork (to the S). I ride to Bigfork every year with some friends from Browning.

If you are based in Columbia Falls, you should definitely ride along Flathead Lake. Head down the east shore on MT 35, have lunch in Polson, then back up on US 93. That's be a nice, easy day ride.

If you want to experience the openness of Montana, a nice ride from Columbia Falls would be to head east on US 2 to Browning, then south on US 89 to Choteau (****. like show-doe). From Choteau stick to US 287 until you hit MT 200. You'll get back into the forest and then hit MT 83 north towards Seeley Lake. You'll be brushing right up against the Mission Mountains. Seeley Lake is worth a stop. Popular weekend spot.

You could also see more real Montana........take US 2 west to Libby. That area up in the Kootenai is all west-slope and full of tall, thick forests, and some clear-cuts. Libby is a town that has been screwed. But, it's still full of great folk and a few nice roadhouses. From Libby, head west a little more, then take MT 56 south to MT 200, then work over towards Flathead Lake and take US 93 north to US 2.

If you have time for multi-day rides in western MT, let me know. You could get down into the Bitterroot, which is a great ride, or take US 12 from Lolo into Idaho (the famous 77 miles of twisties, which makes the "Dragon" look like a worm) or venture further into the Big Hole, one of my favorite parts of Montana.

If you got any questions, ask 'em.

You could also save US 12 for your return to CA.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:52 PM
08rking
Cruiser

Thank you guys for the great info. I'll definitely check some of these places out. Sounds like there will be no shortage of great riding. We're looking forward to seeing this part of the country and Canada.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

You're going to love this trip. Hwy 12 from Lolo to Lewiston, ID is absolutely great too as stated above! There's a ton of great riding, and you couldn't miss it if you tried. Just enjoy it. I'd be happy to look at your final itinerary, and make recommendations if you'd like, but there's no bad rides up here anywhere, and you're coming at a great time. Only problem I see is that in mid June the "Going to the Sun" road might not even be open (must plow the snow for travel). It usually doesn't open till late June, early July. So make sure you check that out before you saddle up. It's a great ride (Going to the Sun) both ways (west to east and then back over east to west) It's two completely different rides, and you really ought to try and do it both ways. You just can't see it all going one direction because you need to watch the road too close to really take it all in. If you're coming from No Cal, there's some great riding in ID on the way. Come up through Boise, McCall, and over to Hwy 12, then head on up to Lolo, MT. I'm only 7 miles from Lolo, so PM me and if I"m not off riding somewhere when you roll through, I'll take you on some great, and I mean GREAT day trips! Enjoy....

Old 04-05-2010, 07:17 PM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain

BigSky - your post just made me zone out for a few thinking about what it would be like to ride out there. You sure do go it made. Flat Flori-duh is gettin to me.

08 - have a good trip, it sure sounds like a dream ride.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

South.

Just sayin......

Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C O L E M A N F U
BigSky - your post just made me zone out for a few thinking about what it would be like to ride out there. You sure do go it made. Flat Flori-duh is gettin to me.
You have no idea. There is no better riding in America. period. Winter is a small price to pay (and great for skiing).

Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Cheater
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wife and I did the Lolo pass trip, up through the Bitterroots to Glacier. North to Banff and on to Jasper. Came back through northern Washington's cascade range to the Olympic peninsula on 101 (took the ferry across the sound) and back to Portland. A trip of a life time. We did it in Aug. and wore hoddies under our leather most of the way and glad to have it. If you go in mid June I promise you'll see lots of snow in the passes. Best of luck and enjoy the trip

Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
R-Jay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Faber and guys said only covers about 1/4 of the state too! Lots of different landscapes through the rest of the state. Pick a river and follow it! Take the Yellowstone from is beginning in Yellowstone Park to its end at the Missouri river. Or follow the Missouri from its beginning at Three Forks till it joins with the Yellowstone. The "Missouri breaks" are the "badlands" of Montana. Heck, just do a search for Montana tourist info and they will send you more info then you can belive, and ITS FREE! Montana is a BIG state with LOTS of history and things to see and do, enjoy!

Quick Reply: Where to ride in Northern Montana