General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to ride in Northern Montana

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
If you have time for multi-day rides in western MT, let me know. You could get down into the Bitterroot, which is a great ride, or take US 12 from Lolo into Idaho (the famous 77 miles of twisties, which makes the "Dragon" look like a worm) or venture further into the Big Hole, one of my favorite parts of Montana.

If you got any questions, ask 'em.

You could also save US 12 for your return to CA.
Faber, you've made me feel better about the fearsome "Dragon"...I've done Lolo many times....and not ridden back east. All we westerners hear about is the 'Dragon'....but I suspect we have dozens of comparable rides that are known to but a few riders. Ever done the Spiral Highway out of Lewiston, or Rattlesnake Ridge down into the Grand Ronde?

As for my favorite northern Montana rides, I love the 'Going to the Sun' highway in Glacier NP (if you want to see it on big screen, watch the first few minutes of Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining', as they climb the highway in the old Volkswagen bug [no, the lodge is actually in Oregon]...and extend the ride into Canada's Waterton NP....or you could head deep into Lake Kocanooska territory, and not see another bike all day. Of course, it's the Rocky Mountains, and for every perfect zen-like day, there's a chance you'll encounter another zen-like less than perfect weather day.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheater
The wife and I did the Lolo pass trip, up through the Bitterroots to Glacier. North to Banff and on to Jasper. Came back through northern Washington's cascade range to the Olympic peninsula on 101 (took the ferry across the sound) and back to Portland. A trip of a life time. We did it in Aug. and wore hoddies under our leather most of the way and glad to have it. If you go in mid June I promise you'll see lots of snow in the passes. Best of luck and enjoy the trip
I bet that was a great trip! WA 20 through the northern Cascades is awesome. I love taking it to Anacortes, taking a ferry trip through the San Juans, back to Anacortes, over Deception Pass, and then a ferry over to Port Townsend and over to the Olympic Peninsula. Just beautiful!

Originally Posted by R-Jay
What Faber and guys said only covers about 1/4 of the state too! Lots of different landscapes through the rest of the state. Pick a river and follow it! Take the Yellowstone from is beginning in Yellowstone Park to its end at the Missouri river. Or follow the Missouri from its beginning at Three Forks till it joins with the Yellowstone. The "Missouri breaks" are the "badlands" of Montana. Heck, just do a search for Montana tourist info and they will send you more info then you can belive, and ITS FREE! Montana is a BIG state with LOTS of history and things to see and do, enjoy!
Very true, R-Jay! There is just so much Montana. Riding along the rivers is pretty cool, but riding through the high plains is pretty amazing, too. Some great riding around Lewiston, And I think people from......other time zones would be blown away out by Broadus and Ekalaka. One of these days I'll make it (onmy bike) our your way. I love the drive out there.

Originally Posted by krusty1
Faber, you've made me feel better about the fearsome "Dragon"...I've done Lolo many times....and not ridden back east. All we westerners hear about is the 'Dragon'....but I suspect we have dozens of comparable rides that are known to but a few riders. Ever done the Spiral Highway out of Lewiston, or Rattlesnake Ridge down into the Grand Ronde?
Lolo Pass blows away the Dragon....by quite a bit. You know we've got dozens and dozens of unheralded rides here in the Northern Rockies. The Spiral Hwy is pretty cool! Never did Rattlesnake Ridge, but I do want to do more riding in ID.

Last year I bought a KLR to explore more of the high country dirt roads. Had a lot of fun up on the MT-ID border between the Big Hole and the Salmon River canyon.

We should make a list of the great rides out here and then...keep it to ourselves