General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank dent removal that works?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:18 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tank dent removal that works?

I have a 50 cent piece sized dent in the edge of my tank as a result of my lack of knowledge while working on the fatboy. The paint is completely intact still,but the dent hs got to go. Waiting for a new tank to arrive, but any suggestions while waiting for the new tank? I tried dry ice on the outside of the tank, just read some new posts about putting it inside the tank? I dunno. Don't want to blow up the entire block. Anyway, suggestions? I called a PDR paintless dent removal guy who said wtf to me. The dent is just out of reach from the gas cap. Someone with 8" fingers could do the job. What gives?Name:  d81feea5.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  33.1 KB

Old 08-06-2006, 02:30 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tank dent removal that works?

ask another body shop preferably one who does bikes.i had a big ol dent is side of one fixed it never could tell it was damaged saved about 3bills

Old 08-06-2006, 02:36 PM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member

Harley tanks are repairable using paintless dent removal. Sportbikes are not since they are a double skinned wall. Didn't notice your location but if you're around Charlotte, NC, bring it by and I'll do it for you for free.

If not, take it to a REPUTABLE paintless dent removal company and providing it's accessible, they should be able to knock it out.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 08-06-2006, 02:48 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately I'm in Los Angeles, CA. I would consider riding there to have it done. Thnaks for the response. The pdr guy I called said he couldn't do it. IS an 02 tank double walled or not?Name:  d81feea5.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  33.1 KB

Old 08-06-2006, 02:52 PM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Unfortunately I'm in Los Angeles, CA. I would consider riding there to have it done. Thnaks for the response. The pdr guy I called said he couldn't do it. IS an 02 tank double walled or not?

Unless something has changed, should still be a single layer. Sportbikes are double walled so if they lay it down at the track, it gives it extra protection. Find out who a reputable bodyshop is in your area and ask them who they recommend for PDR. A good PDR guy will knock it out in 15 minutes.

Mark

Old 08-06-2006, 08:19 PM
cmas06
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a small dent in my old honda tank , what i did and worked pretty good i used a hot glue gun and a glue stick, clean the area with alcohol glue the hot glue stick in center of dent and let it set till 15 minutes or so then just pull on the glue stick. it popped my dent right out.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Cyclecycles
Cruiser

There are guys that go to car dealerships and do nothing but remove dents. Here in Western Pa one of them is called Dent Wizard. I have used them on my own bike and my wifes car. She is really talented at parking where fat people slam their doors into hers and make these really great dents in her car. The Dent Wizard guy knows me by name, hell I should invite him over for holiday dinner someday.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Cyclecycles

There are guys that go to car dealerships and do nothing but remove dents. Here in Western Pa one of them is called Dent Wizard. I have used them on my own bike and my wifes car. She is really talented at parking where fat people slam their doors into hers and make these really great dents in her car. The Dent Wizard guy knows me by name, hell I should invite him over for holiday dinner someday.

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 05-21-2007, 07:28 PM
springysoftail
Novice

Mark, Can you PMme or post info where I can get in touch with you. I bought a tank for my
Springer and it arrived dented. Paint is ok. Need to get it repaired. I live in Mooresville but work
in Charlotte. Thanks. Gerald

Old 05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Dinger
Road Master

Call Dent Wizzard. They're located in Torrance.

Quick Reply: Tank dent removal that works?