General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Think I've Bought The Wrong Bike...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:50 AM
jward
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=LAMing;6518069]Wow. Look at the responses and input. One thing about it, we (forumites) may be a raucous and contentious bunch at times... but when real questions are asked... you come through in spades everytime. Much appreciated.

On to the responses!

* Catalytic converters: As for not wanting a catalytic converter: Don't they eventually clog?

No....

Old 04-05-2010, 05:53 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

RK for you dude, the WIFE will love it!!! Deuce just aint made for cruising long rides 2 up!

Old 04-05-2010, 06:11 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Easy Answer for you: Get the Ultra and get it over with. My lady's very pleased with our Ultra as she rides like a dog. Wants wind in her face and say, "Why are we stopping now ?". Told her that Isabella (My bike's name) needs gas as she went D-Oh...Let's go, Let's go...Keep on riding.

LOL,

Thorey

Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by ehans
Maybe you should save a few bucks and go with a Road King if you don't care about all of the bells and whistles up front that the EG's have. Then get a Tour-Pak for it. They have them with just backrests or with small arms that extend out like on the Ultra-Glide. They have a killer leather one that looks fantastic on the RK Classic, but it is about $1,400. Saw it in the store catalog, but cannot find it on HD's site. Most other Tour-Paks are less.

As for seating, I don't see how you could get more comfortable than the Zeppelin Air Adjustable seat they just came out with. There are three adjustable air bladders, two for the rider and one for the passenger. About $700.

So no frills up front, just a removable police wind screen, and total comfort out back. Try and stick with the 2009 and later models though. The touring bikes all got new frames then and it is supposed to be far more comfortable on longer trips than the older frame.
I've got the 2009 RKC and added the leather tour pack. None of the dashboard stuff like the batwing jobs have but the one good extra feature the RKC does have is cruise control. I use it and don't know how I got along without it before. http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...09RKC008-1.jpg I've had four Softails prior to the RKC and the difference is like night and day in the ride comfort; in favor of the Road King, of course. No Softail comes near it.

Last edited by BigGdawg; 04-05-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:53 AM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy some sort of E-Glide,you`ll be more than happy.
My wife and I rode our Softail Standard all over the place,but it was killing our backs.Went to the dealer,test drove an E-Glide standard.We were halfway thru the ride,and my wife loved it as did I.
Traded in the Softail and got the E-Glide.Don`t miss the SS one bit.
Sidenote:my boss rode a Road King since 2000,just picked up an `08 Ultra.He says he`ll never ride the King again.
These are just 3 peoples opinions though.

Good luck.
Mark.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:33 AM
MrMax
Cruiser

Nah man you bought the right bike. You just happen to need another one too.
Road King with passenger back rest or tourpak.
EG Classic comes with tourpak and nice double up seat.
RoadGlide with passenger back rest or tourpak.

You may want to upgrade the seat on either the RK or the RG to more of a "dual tour" type, but any of these will make momma happy for extended rides.

Last edited by MrMax; 04-05-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:35 PM
BigPappa
Intermediate
Thumbs up New Ride

Best touring bike for the buck, can't beat a Standard Classic, and then add on whatever you want as you go.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:54 PM
beerguz
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Road King would be my choice.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:09 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile

I went through the exact same dilemma with my wife. As you can see by my picture there is a solution. When I want to have straight fun I ride the Deuce, When me and the wife go together it is the Ultra all the way. See, No brainier.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Sounds like you should be looking at a Road king, Electra Glide standard or a side car.
Maybe even look at a Road Glide.
get out and test ride some bikes. Right now Harley has a special contest, test ride a new bike and get entered to win a bike.

Quick Reply: I Think I've Bought The Wrong Bike...