General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Think I've Bought The Wrong Bike...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Look at the responses and input. One thing about it, we (forumites) may be a raucous and contentious bunch at times... but when real questions are asked... you come through in spades everytime. Much appreciated.

On to the responses!

* Catalytic converters: As for not wanting a catalytic converter: Don't they eventually clog? Also, what about modified exhausts? (Like slip-ons.) Won't a cat be something else to deal with? May be no big deal... but IF we do this... it will be a used bike. No way I want to sink the kind of money into a new one that would be required for a new Classic or Ultra.

* Hip issues: Well, you could have a point in regards to it being arthritis. IF it is arthritis... it may be an issue regardless. She has no trouble with discomfort when in the cage, etc. The ONLY time it is uncomfortable is extended seat time on the Deuce. Hopefully, it is not arthritis related.

* Seat theory: I suspect it has to do with the way she has to straddle the pillion in conjuction with the footpeg placement and location. It is NOT a natural seating position to ride all day. I suspect for maximum comfort she needs a "chair" type seating arrangement. That is, wide enough with side support to actually cup her "assets" (and I think she has some nice "assets" ... see thumbnail below!), instead of straddling a pillion. From what I've seen firsthand, the RK's, Street/Road glides, and such, still have a pillion type arrangement without said side support and "cupping" ergo's. Bigger, wider and more comfortable than the Deuce w/Sundowner... but still such an ergo. Maybe I'm all wrong... just the way it seems. Some friends of ours about our age (50's) got into bikes a couple years ago. Started off with an RK (beautiful bike). After a few short trips, the wife wasn't enjoying it. As good fortune would have it, a guy wanted to trade his Ultra for the RK... so they made the trade. The Ultra made a huge difference in the wife's enjoyment/comfort factor... and now she wants to ride more than the husband! So, I suspect it has to do with a "chair/cupping" type seat ergo opposed to a straddle with no side support.

* Whistles and bells: I didn't know some of the whistles and bells included intercom hook ups. I see that as a plus. That is one thing I miss when riding with the wife: Our chit-chat that we engage in during cage trips. (What can I say? I enjoy talking to her.) So, an intercom system would be a plus for me. Stereo? Doubt it I'll see the value in it except when stopped? How in the world would I be able to hear a stereo when I have earplugs in and doing 70 MPH on a super slab???

* Six-speed: Good to hear it may not be as much of an advantage as I suspected it could be. My '02 Deuce does fine with its 88 inch and 5 speed... BUT... an Ultra will be heavier and taller? So thought the 6 speed and bigger engine would be noticably better.

* Bike rental: Funny you should mention that! Wife and I were talking the other day about this and we will likely take up our above mentioned friend's offer to take out their Ultra for weekend. It's an '02, thus it will have the 88 and a 5 speed so I can see what that will be like. We hope to do this idea this month. This will tell the tale, one way or the other. IF her discomfort is indeed something that is being aggrevated by arthritis... then we will have saved ourselves a ton of money. Two-up trips will have to be short.

I think at this point the weekend ride on the Ultra is next. If that's a go, then it will be time to start putting our financial ducks in a row so as to accomodate an Ultra this winter or something.

Welp... all for now. Thanks abunch for the input!

Attached Thumbnails I Think I've Bought The Wrong Bike...-myhottie1.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 08:20 PM
lp johnny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the electra glide standards are a good value...mine has abs..cruise..I added a radio

Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hubbys first bike was a DynaGlide, he did his first year solo as required by law here, and never let me through my leg over it. The next year he bought out first Ultra and we love the bells and whistles because we tour. Long hours in the saddle are made happy happy with my Barker Lounger seat, passenger highway pegs, XM radio, cruise control, and intercom. You are going to love a touring bike!!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:27 PM
michaelm
Tourer

Take a hard look at a Road King. '09 or later. ABS.
Don't worry about the cat, you're gonna change the exhaust anyway. And, fullsac.com can remove the cat easily and inexpensively.

New frame and ABS are WELL worth the extra $s over earlier years on any model FL

Old 04-04-2010, 10:32 PM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cozmic
'09 Road King Classic, Sundowner 2 up with passenger backrest
I got the Sundowner 2up last week and was initially disappointed at how it felt vs the standard seat on the '09s, but after a 225mi trip on Saturday, there really is a difference. Now i just need a rider backrest and I'm done in the "comfort" area.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Bullfrog
Advanced
Default Eglide Classic

I used to have a VTX 1300 and I went through the same thing you are going through now. We tried everything to make it comfortable for long rides. It was a nice bike but the seating position for both rider and passenger just weren't suitable for long rides. So we started exploring our options and I found an Electra Glide Classic south of Phoenix AZ and the wife and I flew down from Kansas to buy it. I just have one thing to say !!! LOVE IT !!! we rode from there back to Kansas and loved every minute of it. We rode over 600 miles one day and could have easily gone further. I just couldn't believe how much difference the seating position made. The Classic IMO is a good choice because it has a lot of what you want without having all the stuff most people really don't need or use.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife and I have been married 25 years, and for most of that time, I had FX, 4 speed bikes. Not real comfortable for a passenger, really. Last fall, bought an '85 FXRS because I'm not into bells and whistles and all the extra weight, wiring, etc. Nothing against garbage barges (as we used to call 'em), but this '85 is a world of difference...we did a 500 mile day in late Sept, and she never smacked the back of my head once! Besides, with cell phones, I don't need a CB and I dont want a sound system...I work in radio, and the bike is my escape from work.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Dan1127
Road Master

Sit on the back seat of a ultra( just like a lazyboy) Your wife will love it.Me and my wife rides for hundreds of miles. nothing better. add adjustable passanger running boards. Highway pegs for you. Travel in the best comfort.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:31 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 575 Likes on 346 Posts

What about installing foot rests in place of the pegs?

Old 04-05-2010, 01:48 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

get a road king or streetglide!

Quick Reply: I Think I've Bought The Wrong Bike...