General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay and a jack off buyer (venting)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010 | 10:08 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dorkman
Got burned once as a seller, but otherwise OK. eBay says they "investigate" disputes, but they don't. Their replies to complaints are bot generated...and just encourage buyer and seller to sort it out. Their eventual bot generated determination is for the buyer to return the item. Pictures don't mean anything...no one at eBay looks at them, and when you use their dispute system there is no provision to attached a photo to back up your side. Best thing to do is look at your buyer/sellers history for clues that indicate you may be dealing with a cronk.

I don't know where you get this stuff, other than making it up, but it is absolutely not true. eBay is known in the internet community for having one of the largest compliance and anti-fraud departments in the industry. They devote a huge amount of resources to the issue. I've got no dog in the fight and I don't much care, but I hate to see people make statements like this about anyone when they are not true.

There are millions of transactions on eBay on a daily basis. There are hundreds of thousands of "complaints". It is extremely difficult for any collection of human beings to be personally on top of every complaint. Initial responses from almost every commercial website are automated. Follow-ups tend to be somewhat less so, and if you push, I have found that you can almost always get someone's personal attention. Use eBay wisely, and you will rarely need it.

Just my opinion...but based on experience as an internet fraud attorney and also a regular user of many commercial sites.

Old 04-05-2010 | 10:25 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I've been buying and selling on e-bay for over 10 years. I know what to expect now, and realize a small percentage of people you just can't reason with. 99 percent of the transactions can be worked out, and MOST of problem transactions can be worked out. 1 or 2 percent of them I was ready to fly across the country and knock on their door to see if the person was that unbelievably clueless in person.

500+ transactions, there are probably 4 or 5 that I'll never forget. I think it's total bullsh!t that now sellers can't leave negative feedback. If a buyer is unreliable other sellers should be able to be warned (by negative feedback).

As far as the OP, The buyer should have never been able to return the pack AFTER trying to repair it.

Also ALL of the damage should have had pictures so there's no arguement from the buyer after the item is sent. At .15 cents per picture that's inexpensive enough to add plenty of photo's.

When it comes to the general population, There are plenty of A**holes out there who think it's perfectly acceptable to buy a suit, wear it to a wedding then try and return it to the store with throw-up, food and beer stains all over it. Those same A**holes also buy and sell on e-bay.

Old 04-05-2010 | 10:52 PM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't agree with a seller holding out on feedback until the buyer leaves feedback, but sometimes a buyer has a perfectly legit reason to leave neg. Is it possible for a seller to click Neutral and then in the box write "NEGATIVE!!!"? Just a thought.

Old 04-05-2010 | 10:57 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm with you GSX. Sounds like this dork broke it himself - as evidenced by his attempted repair. Otherwise, he'd have just chalked it up to shipping damage & gone that route. I see no reason for him to have left you a a negative feedback though - he got his money back. What a stroke.

Old 04-05-2010 | 11:00 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
I don't know where you get this stuff, other than making it up, but it is absolutely not true. eBay is known in the internet community for having one of the largest compliance and anti-fraud departments in the industry. They devote a huge amount of resources to the issue. I've got no dog in the fight and I don't much care, but I hate to see people make statements like this about anyone when they are not true.

There are millions of transactions on eBay on a daily basis. There are hundreds of thousands of "complaints". It is extremely difficult for any collection of human beings to be personally on top of every complaint. Initial responses from almost every commercial website are automated. Follow-ups tend to be somewhat less so, and if you push, I have found that you can almost always get someone's personal attention. Use eBay wisely, and you will rarely need it.

Just my opinion...but based on experience as an internet fraud attorney and also a regular user of many commercial sites.
1. I get it from personal experience...not made up.
2. Must be a reason for eBay to have a large anti-fraud department...fraud.
3. eBay responses to complaints are automated...that's what I said.
4. The little guy with a few hundred dollar complaint doesn't get someones personal attention...just an automated response.
5. If there is a need for an "internet fraud attorney", then it must be a pretty good business. I wish you success on the worthwhile cases, but I don't think eBay does very well for the little guy.