Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank lining Problem Cont...........

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:40 PM
srhen
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Tank lining Problem Cont...........

As a few of you might recall I had a problem with the tank lining coming apart on my 4 yr old "custom" H-D paint set. Well......I took the tank to a shop, used and recommended by local Harley shop, for re-lining. I picked the tank up Fri and unmasked tank today to find a terrible job done at relining tank.

I have a tank with globs of the old gray liner still in it partially flaking off, pools of "new" liner still soft in bottom of tank and filler bung.

Thats not the end of it!!!!!

I also have paint that is actually split, bubbled and seperated from steam cleaning inside of tank and clear coat that is scratched and flaking off.

I don't know where to start......

So.....I gots out da whiskey for tonite

good thing I got 2 other bikes but this is my favorite 1 by a long shot.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks...Scott

Old 04-03-2010, 06:48 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Take it back and make them do it right!!! I did a tank with Kreem and it started peeling within 4 months. Took 4 days to get the Kreem completely out and then re-did the tank with POR 15. No problems since. But, if you paid them to do the job, make them do it right!

The following users liked this post:
starkec (04-16-2023)
Old 04-03-2010, 06:50 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Take the tank first to the HD shop to show them what happened. Once the note the issue, take it back to the bozo that relined it. I'd want a new, painted tank.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:49 PM
srhen
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Also forgot to mention a couple issues....

place that did the relining told me they don't guarantee not messing up paint but has "never" happened before.

Also H-D shop guy who told me to go to place that F'ed up my tank is been a friend of mine for 16 yrs and I'm not gonna bitch at him.....ok, maybe alittle.

Thanks...Scott

Old 04-03-2010, 08:31 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't go on your own-- the shop can send a lot of business their way, or send a lot of bad publicity their way.
BTW--there is a school of thought that lining a tank can cause more problems than it prevents. I guess your experience supports this position.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,634 Likes on 685 Posts

I cleaned the tank on my fxr...what a mess. I used mild cleaners and shook bb's around to knock the rust loose. But I stopped short of using a liner just because of the risk to the paint. Id rather clean the petcock screen all the time than take a chance. The Kreem prep alone can destroy tour paint if youre no extra careful.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:14 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the Kreem product, followed the instructions dead to the letter. Now the Kreem has peeled loose, it looks like rubber gloves floating inside my tank. I acid etched it, everything according to instructions. Will recommend against anyone using it. Now I have a heckuva mess, how to get that junk out of my tank? only one side is peeling so far. I am scared to mess with it, since it is still in one piece, and can't move around right now.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you absolutely sure they are Factory Paint or just "custom paint" on factory tanks. I 've never heard of Genuine Harley Tanks doing that. Seen a shitload of aftermarket tanks do it. If they are Genuine, sounds like your Dealer, is not going to bat for you as much as you think.
Get in touch with the Harley Factory Rep. for your area. I guarantee Harley does not want any bad press on their Factory Custom Paint jobs. Harley prides theirself on their paint.
I really feel, the whole story is not being revealed here, by someone.

Last edited by Harleybass; 08-04-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Both of my tanks were bought raw,not from HD. I followed the kreem process to the letter, let it dry for 2 weeks, painted them and it is working great. This was in 05 and it still looks great..........just say'n

Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

I've never heard of the factory tank lining coming apart (usually it is more of a coating or plating). Sounds like there may have been issues with the prep of your tank to begin with this may have caused problems with the lining and paint.

I have used kreem on a few rusty fuel tanks. I am extra careful and thorough with the cleaning, prep and application. It isn't difficult but does take some time. If you are going to have the tank repainted redo the lining first.