General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic or Not...that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:26 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll be fine with which ever one you use,Dino or Synthetic !!!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:48 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Synthetic all the way baby!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 06:04 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Any used oil is best......Its already broken in.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will tell you that do alot of traffic rides. I will ride from Baltimore into Wash DC. I tell you to use Syn oil. I have try Dino oil on a couple rides into the city and after one good ride in traffic the dino is trashed. If you want to change oil every week use Dino. If you like oil to last go with Syn oils. I will do the Red line oil for trans with the red color. It can tell about any early problems with trans bearings. Just my .02

Old 04-06-2010, 06:29 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBAR55
Got a 07 RKC and a 02 Lowrider...Going back and forth over which oil to use...Some wrenchers say Syn. some say fossil...Knock me off the fence, I'm changing fluids today
Of course there are two different sides to the fence,always will be.You have to be the one to decide what's best for you.For me with a machinist background, that decision was easy over 30 yrs ago, once I saw the results of running synthetics.First thing is cooler operation,much less wear on internal engine parts,extended oil change intervals,(Saving money).80% of engine wear occurs in the first few seconds after startup,where synthetics really shine.Your choice good luck.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:30 PM
HDForums Editors
Internet Brands
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our writer Pete thinks he has the answer to the synthetic vs fossil debate...

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/in...marketnews.php

Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by HDForums Editors
our writer Pete thinks he has the answer to the synthetic vs fossil debate...

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/in...marketnews.php
Good article. I have spent a lot of time reading a lot of real information on the net regarding this topic. Real information means from an unbiased source, not from an oil company that sells synthetic for example. The bottom line is, as is mentioned in the above article is that it's not worth it. All hype.

In my opinion, the only exception is if your oil runs hotter than 250 degrees F. Then Dino will break down faster than the syn. But my argument is, why the hell are you running so hot. You should be purchasing an external oil cooler if you're running so hot.

But anyway, it's really entertaining reading things like "Synthetic makes your engine run cooler" or "synthetic sticks to the bearings and lubricates way better than dino" or here's a good one "you can go 5 or 10 thousand miles before you have to change your oil". The thing is, maybe the oil hasn't broken down, maybe it still has some life, but it will be dirty. It will be just as dirty as the dino oil and you will get excessive wear on the engine running dirty oil.

I also agree it's marketing hype by HD. If the engine truly needed to be "better" lubricated because dino wasn't good enough then they would require synthetic, not just say it's ok, or safe to use.

It's a scam. Unless you're running high performance race engines there is no need for the extra expense.

Do you think it would make a difference in you lawnmower? Would it make a difference on a squeaky door hinge?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

I get my 20w50 or 15w50 auto style from NAPA for about $4 a quart for my engine, formula + for the tranny and Walmart full syn 75w140 for the tranny...

The biggest thing wether you chose syn or dino... just change it and you will be fine....HD just recommends a weight and change intervals....Look at people using dino oil in cars that get 500000 miles or more...Don't drink the kool aid.....

Old 10-11-2011, 06:04 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran amsoil for a while but it didn't run one degree cooler than dino so I switched back to dino. I didn't notice any advantage running syn. I change my oil like clockwork so Dino is fine for me.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:46 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchglass
The whole "Bearing Skate" myth is left over from the old days when Harley didn't sell a synthetic oil. Synthetic oil provides better cooling, is slower in breaking down, and has additive packages that surround carbon, and other impurities (thereby keeping them away from engine components on the way back to the filter). I also find it hard to believe the older bike wouldn't perform as well with synthetic oil.

I work in the refinery of a borax mine in the middle of the Mojave desert. We have done extensive testing in our reliability department on speed reducers (Gear Boxes) operating in a desert environment 24 hours a day...7 days a week. The plant is almost 100 years old, and some of our equipment is 30 years old or better. Almost every time synthetic turns out to be the answer. We do have a few places where backstops have to engage to prevent a conveyor from rolling backwards when the belt is turned off. In these situations we have to be careful about using a synthetic that has an anti-friction package as it can stop the backstop from engaging. So...in rare instances in industry friction modifiers can cause issues with equipment. As far as the "bearing skate"....when we have an equipment failure there is a tap root analysis performed to determine why...never has it been an issue with bearing skate. I even asked a trebologist (oil scientist) about bearing skate, and was told it was a farce harley invented...when they didn't succeed in boosting oil sales...they decided to start selling synthetic themselves. Now the claim made by them is that their synthetic is specially engineered for "harley engines"....as if they are made out of some special "unicorn horn" that other engines aren't made of.
My 2 cents is for you to go to several new car dealerships and raise the hood on a porche, corvette, turbo Cadillac, and many other high performance engines. Chances are you'll see one thing in common with the big money/high performance engines....they will all say use only mobil1 on the oil filler cap.
-clutch-
P.S. No matter if it's synthetic, or conventional oil you decide upon...use the same brand at every oil change. Switching back and forth between brands can cause issues with your engine sludging up....and especially on an air cooled motor....that's a bad thing.
A Harley Davidson isn't a High Performance Engine....Its 1930"s technology in a new package

Many many riders with over a 100k on the clock who have only ever ran dino.

Quick Reply: Synthetic or Not...that is the question