General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic or Not...that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

If you want to really cool down your bike, add some Prolong to your oil. It is the one additive that you can feel and hear the difference the minute you put it in. It will work with either dino or synthetic. Before I used it in my 84 Iron Head Sporty, it would always do the tic tic tic thing while cooling off after a hard ride. After adding Prolong it never did that again. It also quieted it down a bunch. I run it in my EVO now. It never did run hot to begin with, even on those 100 deg. days, and if I owned a twin cam I would sure try it. I have been running it in all my vehicles for 10 years without problems. My 99 Dodge mini van has 120,000 on it, and it runs like brand new. Its had Prolong in it since new. Just saying my experiance with it.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:50 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

From what I've read here and other places,the only real difference comes into play when you don't change oil on time. Dino will break down where syn will still maintain its lube properties longer.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:48 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
If you want to really cool down your bike,.....

...add some fuel via the cam shaft and ECM.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "Waste of Money" comments are funny. Synthetic oil doesn't break down in heat like Dino oils. How many people here go to bikeweeks?, I'd say more than a few. How many people have just sat there on Rt 1 going into Ormond, or Rt3 getting out of Weirs beach, Rt17 through Myrtle....etc. bike idling away in near 100 degree heat. Synthetic oil costs about $5 bucks more a quart than Dino crude. That's about $20 extra to use it. People have no problem drinking 4 Daytona beers @ $5 bucks a piece but putting that extra $20 towards your bike? WHOA, that's a WASTE OF MONEY!!! We all know pulling your jugs off to replace pistons and repair scored cylinder walls is A LOT less than $20 to repair.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:23 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea, because that happens all the time. There's a lot of guys that will tell you what oil you "need" that have never put 20k on a bike in their life.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
yea, because that happens all the time. There's a lot of guys that will tell you what oil you "need" that have never put 20k on a bike in their life.
I would never tell anyone what oil they need. I really couldn't care less. I just get tired of hearing the misconceptions of Synthetic oil.

And your probably right "yea, because that happens all the time". If wearing out motors and cylinders were common place Harley would probably jump on the bandwagon and start remanufacturing their own engines to get some of those aftermarket dollars. Hey, They could call call it the "engine exchange program"

But I'm glad I have over 100,000 miles between my two current bikes. I guess I qualify for being a "real biker".

Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently switched to mobil 1 from dino, in my 01 standart. A little headnoise is indeed there now, but from what I know it's not a sign of more wear and tear. My next oil change, I'll put some in the primary too. Just put some ATF in it this time. I was afraid of leaks, but none, so far, showed up.
I tried syn because I read somewhere that it will "clean" the motor from the inside. I don't know about that, but will see in around 2000 miles what the motor oil looks like, when I change it. IMO, even if doesn't do any good, atleast it won't hurt.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:14 PM
50magnum
Intermediate
Default I use synthetic on both my bikes

I had the dealers switch out the HD oil to synthetic at 1k service on both my bikes-(Screamin Eagle 20W 50) Which helps with temps here and that synthetic oil covers the oil,tranny and crankcase. Did my full oil swap outs through the dealers and I have had no issues, knock on wood, actually many folks use it around here. Expensive buy IMO worth it.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mobil 1. Easily available and runs cooler.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
paguy
Road Captain

No question. While your sitting at a red light on a 90 plus day and your butt and thighs feel like something bought at Kentucky Fried you'll wish you used a good syn oil. I'm not talking syn3. This has low detergent profile and allows for carbon build up that causes heat. I've got Redline in primary and tranny v twin with shockproof and Mobile one in the engine.

Quick Reply: Synthetic or Not...that is the question