General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Stealer Parts dude....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:25 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stupid Stealer Parts dude....

i have had 2 rear oring pegs break on a ironhead i hadmade out of sum cheap crap hd had at the time right where it mounted for the bolt

Old 08-06-2006, 02:42 PM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't get it. I've been in the bodyshop business for almost 25 years and I still don't get how when you order a parts from a parts guy they don't automatically suggest "do you want the gasket that goes with that?" or "you know there's a adapter kit with that, right?"

I think the problem is you don't get anyone that has been with the same company for any length of time. Used to be in the old days that guys were so familiar with their product, they would know what was needed. Nowadays people change jobs so often, they don't know the product or just don't care.

Mark

Old 08-06-2006, 10:09 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

ORIGINAL: orangecrush
I don't get it. I've been in the bodyshop business for almost 25 years and
I still don't get how when you order a parts from a parts guy
they don't automatically suggest "do you want the gasket that goes with that?"
or "you know there's a adapter kit with that, right?"

I think the problem is you don't get anyone that has been with the same company for any length of time.
Used to be in the old days that guys were so familiar with their product, they would know what was needed.
Nowadays people change jobs so often, they don't know the product or just don't care.
Mark
Well put Ocrush

mud

Old 08-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here...bolts for the passenger footboards...sheared after only 3 months, luckily it broke while the wife was trying to get on in the driveway. Checked the other one and it was badly cracked and starting to bend. My factory bolts for the saddlebags also broke off after about 8 months. The footboards now have Grade 8 bolts, the saddlebags have stainless once I modified them to fit more luggage.

About the parts desk help...[:@] Most of the help only know how to look up parts in the picture book. Two of our parts guys actually ride metrics...and have the nerve to deliberately park them out front. When I go in I specifically request either the parts manager (he started at the dealership as a 12 year old washing bikes, now is 58 years old) or one of two other older guys who've done their time with Harleys. If I know what I need and it doesn't take any brains then I'll deal with one of the young guys. A couple of the clothing girls know more than they do about Harley parts...

Old 08-07-2006, 12:02 AM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

I am with you bev! evry time I buy something from the dealer I get home and there is alway's something I need to go back and buy! so now when I buy something I open it on the counter and make sure I buy everything I need!

Old 08-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Bluerose

Ok couldn't some one have warned me that 2 screws, 2 washers and 2 nuts cost $20....???? That was just stupid!!! $200 in parts for pegs and connectors then $20 for 2 fricken screws [:@]

Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 AM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

They tell me H.D. dosn't stand for harley davidson! it stand's for hundred dollars! cause that is what you spend every time you go in there. a Hundred Dollar's!!

Old 08-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: wildman67

They tell me H.D. dosn't stand for harley davidson! it stand's for hundred dollars! cause that is what you spend every time you go in there. a Hundred Dollar's!!
We were joking about that when we went there...but if 2 screws would have cost a hundred dollars I would have fainted!

Old 08-07-2006, 12:47 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

The thing I've never been able to figure out is, "if the damn thing needs particular parts to be installed, package them up and sell them as a complete kit." Or at least have the item flagged in manual or parts book accordingly. So you know going in what the cost is. I've always been annoyed when someone quotes me a price for something and then you get, "oh, by the way, you'll need this part and that piece and the price just went from $100 to $200." Are those parts optional? "Uh, no." Then give me the bottom line price for the entire thing and stop jerkin' me around.
Okay, off that soapbox.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:40 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Same thing happened to me when I got mine.

My box was even labeled as a kit, but it came with no bolts!

I made a few trips to the dealer that day. Turns out the chrome docking kit came with zinc bolts that completely covered the chrome...