General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keith Wandell Retirement Rev’s Up Harley

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Rocker_C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keith Wandell Retirement Rev’s Up Harley

Date: April 1, 2010
To: Harley-Davidson Employees
Subject: A Letter To My Colleagues
This morning I am announcing my intention to retire by the time of our next board meeting.

It has become clear that in light of the continuing leadership doubt, and the unprecedented level of negative attention about my compensation package, the company – and each of you – has had to endure, that the best thing I can do for you, our dealer network and our shareholders is to retire.

Some of you have done an extraordinary job serving our customers despite the almost daily media distraction. I feel strongly that the attacks about my riding experience and eight month compensation package of $6.4 million are unjustified, but unfortunately, they show no signs of abating. A simple reality check tells me that people are spending more time reading about the acrimony and not enough time buying our motorcycles from the newly reduced product line up.

What matters is not what happens to me, but it’s really about the remaining employees of Harley-Davidson, our employed customers and our shareholders. The whole is greater than the sum of any 2 parts and clearly more important than me “feeling good about where we are” as a company. Even in the midst of the first quarterly loss in 16 years, the HDFS liquidity freeze, the India expansion, the Buell distractions, the union worker delinquencies in PA., and the MV Augusta sell-off strategy… my main regret in this short, but well paid, tenure, is that I will not be here to realize the potential of this bold strategy to return the company to a “new” normal.

I will retire when my successor is appointed. The Board has begun a high profile and expensive search for a new CEO, led by the head of the Board’s Compensation, Management Development and Succession Committee. I, of course, will do everything I can to assist in this transition. I will make sure that the company firmly “stays the course” until my successor is chosen.

Let me say that it will not be easy for me to leave. I take enormous pride in obtaining my motorcycle endorsement and I’ve met a bunch of new lunch-time riding buddies. It’s been said that the true test of a leader is the performance of the company he leaves behind. On that score, I feel my short, but well paid legacy and public record are available for all to read. The Board has asked me to assure you of their full support as we go through the transition and into the future.

To some of you, I offer my heartfelt thanks for the extraordinary opportunity to work with and lead you during this short tenure that I’ve been in Milwaukee. Of course I will continue to see some of you in the H-D Brewers suite and have enormous faith that the best of Harley-Davidson will be lived in the days ahead.

Sincerely,
Keith “Scooter” Wandell
President and CEO, Harley-Davidson

Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Give me 6.4 million and see how quick I can be out the door and I'd be happy all the way to the bank.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:34 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Well I must give the guy credit, that does seem like the correct response in light of all the negativity, although quite the paycheck for not much show. I hope the selection committee can find someone inside Harley to lead the way. The Harley thing is hard to understand unless you have lived it and I am betting most outside CEO candidates have not. Lordy I wish I had bought some stock a couple of days ago.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:45 PM
fxdsegrl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C'mon....April fools day right?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:38 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdsegrl
C'mon....April fools day right?
I'm sure. Not language that a CEO would use.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have to call Aprils Fools Day BS......nothing about Wandell retiring if googled. I would think this would be a pretty big business news story.

Nice try Rocker.