General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting exchange with a local Indy shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010 | 04:04 PM
Big_Al47
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default Interesting exchange with a local Indy shop

Ride there on my lunch break, ask the guy behind the counter "How much to check out my cam tensioners?"

He disappears back to the shop area, comes back 2 minutes later and says "$1500"

I say "Really, that much to just check them to be sure they are bad or about to need replacing?"

He asks, "what are they again?"

I say "The cam tensioners on a 2004 Harley twin cam engine"

He goes out back again, 2 minutes again and says "Don't worry, you will know when they go bad and need replacing"

I say "OK thanks" and leave.

I really don't know what to say, other than laugh. And yes, I'm aware that today is April fools day, but this is no joke.

Old 04-01-2010 | 04:26 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member

At least name the indy so no one gets screwed by them........

Old 04-01-2010 | 04:31 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior

I don't know what to say other than theirs a lot of that going around. I think it's a phenomenon more associated with aftermarket parts. Quite a few people will go to the same shop, asking almost the same questions time and time again before finally committing to a particular purchase. Good chance he wasn't paying attention, or heard wrong. He might have really thought you were asking about replacement costs. Call a couple more shops and you will have two more opinions. Their likely to be different at that.
You will know for sure when their bad, I'd bet! Lol

Old 04-01-2010 | 04:39 PM
Big_Al47
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and he didn't hear me correctly. I already have another Indy lined up for Saturday anyway for $50 bucks

Old 04-01-2010 | 06:19 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

About two weeks ago I went to my local indy shop to buy a new belt. The owner had quoted me a price the day before. When I got there I told the woman behind the counter what i was wanting. She went and found it and turned to me and asked "Did he tell you how much it costs?" I tell her yes. So she asked me " Well how much did he say it was?" If i didn't buy parts from this shop all the time i could have pulled a fast one but i told her the correct price.

Old 04-01-2010 | 06:25 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Big_Al47
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and he didn't hear me correctly. I already have another Indy lined up for Saturday anyway for $50 bucks
Considering that you didn't even talk to anybody there, other than somebody passing info through a grapevine who obviously "lost" half the question in route.

The only obvious negative I see about that shop is the lack of time for them to come to the counter and actually "talk" to you.

Old 04-01-2010 | 06:26 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member

Good idea to go to another indy for the $50 inspection of your cam chain tensioners. Who knows what the 1st indy would do to your bike if the guy doesn't listen too good!

Old 04-01-2010 | 06:41 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master

I had something like that,was at a local MC shop,just noseing around,so i ask the lady at the counter,hey how much to get a set of tires put on,she says...get this $20 on the bike $10 off..I say what she repeated it,I said can you write that down,she does a few days later I was next store so I poped in again and talk to the guy there,he says 180 on the bike,85 if I bought the tires from him..Tires were triple there I looked....nice..come-on get your s$it together...

Old 04-01-2010 | 06:59 PM
ashmarc
Road Master

My indy is a true garage indy.....three Handy lifts in his 3 car garage and they are all usually loaded with three different HD's...he can out wrench anyone that I personally know.

When I want a quote, I talk to him, no BS, just him, and I get a true and fair price.

I like that.

Last edited by ashmarc; 04-01-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2010 | 07:17 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I'm surprised any Indy would pass up the opportunity to try and up-sell someone a gear drive cam set-up. The guy must have more work than he can handle.

Quick Reply: Interesting exchange with a local Indy shop