General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM's Vs Lugging the engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010 | 12:37 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I do not have a tach, and do not need one. You can pretty much tell if you are lugging or not. Heck, I ride my EVO through the park at 18 mph in 3rd. Motor is just above idle, but not working at all. On the other hand, if you are going to hit the throttle, you better shift down a gear or two. If the motor is not pulling, you are not lugging it. When I go on the on ramp to the interstate, I rev out pretty good in each gear, hitting 5th at around 60. It just depends on how you are riding at the time. If you are one of those guys that rolls on the throttle real fast, you need to be in a lower gear. If you roll in on real easy, you can shift much faster. Thats my 2 cents. You do have to have a feel for what the motor is doing.

Old 04-01-2010 | 01:00 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

I trt to keep my bike about about 2500 when just rolling down the road, but I shift from 2500-6000 depending what I'm feeling. Yes you will know when your lugging the engine since the bike will kinda buck and the exhaust will sound like crap.

Old 04-01-2010 | 01:42 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dog155
Accelleration depends how hard you want it.Cruise rpm's depends on what makes you comfortable.Good maintainance will keep your bike running for a very long time.
This is how I wanted to phrase my initial response, Thanks Dog!

Old 04-01-2010 | 01:48 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Very nicely put together Ed. Good work! Is that a Harley windshield? The shape is perfect. Is it quick release?
Sorry to the OP for the thread theft.

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

08 Heritage, 103", 54's, HPI 51mm Throttle Body,

WFO Larry Grooved heads 10.4:1,

1.90 intake & stock exhaust valves,

D&D Fatcat, SERT, VPC 83T

Evo Ind. 49t Sprocket, Hydraulic Primary Tensioner

SE Compensator, Doherty plate w/Zippers A/C

104.79HP/114.25TQ SAE DJ250i

Last edited by clicker01; 04-01-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: needed details
Old 04-01-2010 | 05:34 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by clicker01
Very nicely put together Ed. Good work! Is that a Harley windshield? The shape is perfect. Is it quick release?
Sorry to the OP for the thread theft.
Thanks!

It's a quick detatch, factory hardware but the shield is a clearview recurve. They add just a tad of a curve near the top to move the wind upward an inch or two. Allows me to run with a shorter sheild. I like it. Thanks for the compliment.

http://clearviewshields.com/shop/manufacturer.php?id=9

(Bad angle in the photo, the curve don't show well).

Old 04-01-2010 | 07:36 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Thanks!

It's a quick detatch, factory hardware but the shield is a clearview recurve. They add just a tad of a curve near the top to move the wind upward an inch or two. Allows me to run with a shorter sheild. I like it. Thanks for the compliment.

http://clearviewshields.com/shop/manufacturer.php?id=9

(Bad angle in the photo, the curve don't show well).
Thanks for the link! I gotta get one on order, just what I was looking for - Thanks again!

Old 04-01-2010 | 09:27 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

You are very welcome!

Old 04-01-2010 | 09:47 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by XL50#674
I trt to keep my bike about about 2500 when just rolling down the road, but I shift from 2500-6000 depending what I'm feeling. Yes you will know when your lugging the engine since the bike will kinda buck and the exhaust will sound like crap.
That's some SERIOUS lugging if that happens. I'd never let my bike go through that - Jim Craft said it better than I did; that's exactly how I roll. I suppose the generally low rpm bark through a couple gears occasionally doesn't hurt though, and most of us do it for the tourists...or the girls on the corner.

That said, yesterday I had a pickup truck full of some fat redneck girls whistling and yelling for my attention. I honestly didn't have an idea what to do save for pop a smile and pray for the light to freekin' change.

Old 04-01-2010 | 10:00 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quadancer
That said, yesterday I had a pickup truck full of some fat redneck girls whistling and yelling for my attention. I honestly didn't have an idea what to do save for pop a smile and pray for the light to freekin' change.
i had a friggin DOG leaning out her window today checking out me and the bike. this chick was beaten with the finest ugly stick money could buy.

i told her i was riding a honda.

Old 04-01-2010 | 10:08 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

At least ONE can't gang-rape you! I was gettin' a little nervous...

Quick Reply: RPM's Vs Lugging the engine