General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealing with “road ‘gators”

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:38 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Never encountered a road gator myself, but have seen fine shredded pieces everywhere on the road.

Went over a folding table that flew in the air and hit the pavement in Indiana on my way to Sturgis '06. Scared the crap outta me.

Was riding behind a SUV with so much crap on it's roof on a 4 lane highway. My guts had told me to stay behind about 2-3 cars length then 2 lawn chairs flew in the air as I had to change lanes immediately. Good thing I was paying attention.

Thorey

Old 04-01-2010, 06:34 AM
goose246
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
I had one blow about 6 or 8 car length in front of me a few years ago. I got hot melted rubber on my windshield. That will get your attention real quick.
Good thing you had a windshield!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:52 AM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Riding down I-35 years ago in rush hour traffic when the car in front of me swerved over to the next lane. Now I am looking at a couch and box spring matress. I still do not how to this day, but I was able to swerve through them somehow. Watched in my mirror as the car behind me hit them head on. Ugly site. I hate riding in traffic. Your
ability to see objects ahead of time and reaction options are limited.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Keitht
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a commercial vehicle officer and since I got back into riding, I write every driver I can a ticket for driving on blown tires. They will blow a tire and then they want to drive 100 miles to their favorite truck stop before changing it. But they are in disbelief why I would write them a ticket for a flat tire?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:53 AM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Keitht
As a commercial vehicle officer and since I got back into riding, I write every driver I can a ticket for driving on blown tires. They will blow a tire and then they want to drive 100 miles to their favorite truck stop before changing it. But they are in disbelief why I would write them a ticket for a flat tire?
Thank you Keitht! I have had 2 vehicles damaged by pieces off of these shredded tires. Don't even want to think about hitting them on my bike. I know truckers do not have control over when these things blow, but knowingly driving with one flat, you know it is going to eventually shred.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:13 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

On my way home in a torential rain,70mph,passing a tractor trailer hit a huge piece,sounded like it did major damage.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Keitht
I run a truck shop and believe me I chew these guys out that roll on these tires when flat because they become a danger to us in the shop also.They have a weak sidewall after being run really low or flat and form what they call a zipper they can explode at any time during inflation after repair.The only tip off is if you hear a sound like sizzling bacon,means stop inflating right away!!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

An extra mention about trucks and construction vehicles is rocks. Even if the tires are fine, for every retread thrown off, there are a thousand pebbles thrown first, especially by garbage trucks, dumps, equipment haulers and anything that gets into dirt or unpaved roadways.
I've seen a windshield broken on a bike from that, thankfully not mine.
And the truckers appreciate you when you give them room too.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Hate to burst your bubble but most of those you see are from new or virgin tires that come apart.Good ol American labor
Hate to burst your bubble; but a recap blowing off is not virgin or new. It may be new tread, but the casing itself is used.

And most trucking companies aren't buying tires made in the USA.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:42 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Avoid trucks at all times...with the depressed economy, most trucking companies are trying to cut costs everywhere to maintain cost per mile...tires included. Most blowouts are caused by improper inflation (driver's responsibility)...see one coming apart call the law.

Get around them or lay back from them.

Had a tread come off and land on the hood of my Gran Prix several years back while crossing the Texas panhandle...unavoidable in traffic, but my dumb butt shouldn't have been so close.

Quick Reply: Dealing with “road ‘gators”