General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 comments yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 AM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, I'm sure glad I bought a Road King.

I am only kidding of course. In most cases if they don't ride Harleys or at least have one on their wishlist. They probably would have no idea what the different models are. I would just be glad they knew it was a Harley and not a crotch rocket.

Jim

Old 03-31-2010, 09:00 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sportster is just a familiar name to the non-biking crowd. With all the models and letter designation in the HD line-up how does anyone keep track of them all? FLTCHUCSDHKIGHTSDKJIH? Ya know what I mean? Now revert back to the day when you didn't ride and try to remember what it was like.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. A lot of people haven't got a clue about motorcycles. They may not even know that there are different models. They can only comprehend and associate what they know...which in this case is a sportster. In fact, they may have merely heard the term "Sportster" in association with Harley Davidsons and never even really seen one up close. They just need to be educated.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't you know by now? Here is what the non-motorcyclists see....

All sportbikes = Ninjas
All cruiser style bikes = Harleys
All bagger type bikes = Goldwings

Old 03-31-2010, 09:19 AM
dragpipe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, lets see yer sporty... we'll tell ya if it looks like a W.G.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 AM
piggy
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems to me , that was a great opportunity to educate some on THE DIFF models of harley and how proud EACH OWNER IS OF HIS MODEL.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I get that more with my LR than I did with my Sportster....I just say "Yeah it's a Sportster". Trying to educate them is really a true waste of time.

But if it really bothers you...just start barking like a dog and urinate on their pantleg....that will get their mind off the Sportster thing.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 AM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maimas
If my friend pulled up on a Honda, I would probably ask him if it was a rebel, seeing as that is the only make of a honda MC that I know of. So, I would gather that your Dad and friend do not ride, and probably asked if it was a sportster seeing as it is the make of HD that most people know.
Same here. A buddy of mine rides Hondas - he and his wife each have one. I couldn't tell ya which models they were. So don't be to rough on 'em.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could see how someone who does not know much about HD's could confuse your Wide Glide with a Sportster. To many folks there are fat bikes and skinny bikes......all fat bikes are Fat Boys and all skinny bikes are Sportsters. Wouldn't bother me if my Wide Glide was confused with a Sportster. I would just politely educate them and next time they see a Wide Glide, they will say "hey, that is a Wide Glide right? I know someone that has a Wide Glide." Heck, my Wide Glide was confused with my Heritage once by a non-riding friend that see's me riding often.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 AM
UnSamnedBob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy at work saw a pic of mine on my desktop and said "whatcha got there, a Sporty". I said nope and before I could correct him he said "Oh it's a Dyna". He rides a Heritage. I guess the rear shocks are misleading or something.

Quick Reply: 2 comments yesterday