General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys for Tall Guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:53 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most people are not 6'5" - if they make the bike to fit those people, then it's not going to be a good fit for the majority of riders, who are under 6' - just common sense to go somewhere in the middle, so really tall and really short riders make some modifications. I've never heard that the Japanese bikes fit tall riders better, however - they must suck for the average rider.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slowrollin
...It's kind of strange that the Japanese bikes fit taller riders a little better yet, Japanese people are generally not as tall as Americans. I don't quite get that.
I looked at several Japanese bikes and none fit me anywhere near as good as my EG. The seat/peg/handlebar ratio was jacked up on everything I tried- even on the huge Vulcan 2000. I came away feeling that the Japs still have a long way to go in fit/finish, aesthetics, and ergonomics, and that in most cases the price they were asking for their machines IMO couldn't be justified.
On the other hand several Harleys fit me OK, but only the EG fit me well enough to spend money on.

Originally Posted by slowrollin
...I got a Heritage and I'm considering moving up to an Electa Glide.
The obvious question would be why didn't you just buy an Electra Glide to begin with? Did you have an opportunity to sit on both when you were buying? I only ask because I too considered a Heritage, but after sitting on both it was immediately obvious that the EG fit me much better...

Old 03-31-2010, 08:58 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my stock '05 Honda VTX fit me a lot better than the stock '08 FatBoy - which gave me the most room of any unmodified Harley.

of course the VTX wasn't a Harley, and I was willing to pay the $$ to MAKE the FatBoy fit me.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I got off a Venture and onto the Electra Glide Ultra Classic. Didn't have to do anything to the Venture but put on highway pegs. The Ultra was comfortable and the dealer threw in a tall-boy seat and I added the extended floorboards from MOCO. Only stand 6-1 but have long legs, 36" inseam. I'm comfortable on the Ultra.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 PM
ewalker302
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im 6'4" any my low rider with the stock seat fits me pretty good, the only thing i think I need are at least 1-2 " longer highway peg brackets, and I'll be god

I bought a tall boy seat thinking it would be a little more comfortable, but I hated it, and went back to the stock low rider seat after about 3 rides with it.

pm me if you are interested in it, like I said I only used it about 3 times, and is virtually brand new

Old 03-31-2010, 08:54 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm 6' 2" and even with 3" extensions on my Deuce I wish I had a tad more stretch...might work the seat to gain the stretch I'm looking for

Old 03-31-2010, 09:13 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I did ride the glide but the seating position on the Heritage worked better. I'm 5'11" but built like a spider with long arms and a 32 inch inseam. The bars on the Heritage and the slightly more forward floor boards were better for me. I sat on a Road Glide today. For some reason that felt better than the EG. Seems like I could get away with just a Tallboy seat on that. But I would also change those skinny floorboards. Seems like size 12 feet would need something a little wider. but I'm not sure about that.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:21 PM
capnhook
Ultimate HDF Member

6' 1'' with a 34'' inseam. I raised my Sporty an inch by putting Dyna shocks on it and throw my feet over the pegs so my ankles rest on the pegs to stretch out while riding.

I have found metric bikes to be worse than HD for taller riders. My dad who is only 5' 8'' bought a V-star because it was lower and he could actually put his feet down flat while sitting on it. My dad also has a Gold wing and I feel like a monkey f***ing a football riding that thing.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I'm 6' 2" and even with 3" extensions on my Deuce I wish I had a tad more stretch...might work the seat to gain the stretch I'm looking for
6'3" here, what x-tensions? Kury's? Have the cruise arms on now for the softails, but got'a get the forwards out more..........

Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Saxon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Tall Riders

6'1' with 32 inseam
Tried a stock Road King, not comfortable, went to an Ultra - same problem, went to a road Glide - problem solved. Too be honest though, I love the king and if it were not for the fact that I wanted the 08 Anniversary with the stock set-up I would have changed the seat and bars and been happy. As far as the ultra goes changing the seat and bars would have worked too but again wanted a coppertop.
In terms of value for money you can't beat the Ultra. Way cheaper to modify seat, bars and controls etc. The cost of my RG plus tour pack plus lowers plus other extras has cost quite a bit more.
At the end of the day though I just love the RG
Good luck

Quick Reply: Harleys for Tall Guys