General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trickle charger vs. battery tender...same thing or different?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 PM
lohawg
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have used several battery tenders, they should all go green on the lights when the battery is charged. If the charger stays red forever it might be a bad battery. You need to check it with a voltmeter, you should have 13.5-13.7 volts on the battery as soon as you take the charger off.

It will slowly go down in voltage after the charger is off but should never go below 12.6 in less than a day. If its only 11.5 as soon as charger is lifted it's already a bad battery.

It may be that some chargers don't have a very good monitoring system and just stay red or "charging" all the time. Probably will ruin the battery after a week or two.

I've had several bikes that I ran the Deltran Battery Tender on, never had a problem with any batteries or with the tenders. This is one of the best inventions ever made for bikes or any batteries that sit a lot.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 PM
hdtwice
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
One more thing to remember is that a battery tender will not charge a dead battery, only mantain it in the state that it is in, if the battery is dead, charge it with a low amperage charger (2Amp) first then put it on the tender.
AhHa!! That answers my earlier question about which do I have...mine will charge the battery so it must be a trickle charger...

I was planning on getting a tender instead of guessing on what I have but I would not have known about it not charging up a battery..good info THANKS

Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Mr Wasabi
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nozzleman 216
Schumacher makes a nice one with "float mode" Its what I have and was around 20-25 bucks! Hated buying it at walmart, but for that price its hard to beat and they make great products!
http://store.schumachermart.com/sem-1562a.html
That's the one I bought a few weeks ago when my battery was acting up. I needed something quick at the time but since bought a new battery. I'm wondering if I should/can use it as a tender on my new battery?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 PM
lakeman
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I have a .75amp trickle charger that has a red light that goes out when the battery is fully charged..over the winter I've had in on for weeks on end and the light never went out so the question is can you over charge a battery with a trickle charger?
Done a lot of reading on this, .... yah, I know it's a compulsive, obsessive thing but my electrical background pushes me. Suggest using our old chargers only when you need to charge, short term only (1-2 days). My 10 amp will charge a completely dead car battery enuff to start in 10-15 min. I don't leave that on my battery for more than 24 hours.

For anything sitting in cold or warm storage for more than a week or two, use the Tender or equivalent .... the Shumacher from Walmart ... I bought 2 of the small ones for the toys. Tenders or 'float' chargers are the only thing to utilize for long term storage, my old 10 amp and 2 amp are shelved unless I should do something to the car battery that might run it right down .... like leaving an interior light on.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr Wasabi
That's the one I bought a few weeks ago when my battery was acting up. I needed something quick at the time but since bought a new battery. I'm wondering if I should/can use it as a tender on my new battery?
So long as the one you bought is the same as the one I have posted it is fine. It has a float mode which is a fancy term for tender

You will know if its the same model by looking at the charging leads that comes with it. There are two models almost identical in looks, but one does not float just charges and has generic charging leads. You want the one with the nice black connectors for leaving it on your battery all the time

Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

"Battery Tender" is a brand name. They make what are known as "float chargers" or what are sometimes referred to as "tenders".

Battery Tender is to float charger, what Coke is to soft drink, soda, pop, etc.

Single stage float chargers (Battery Tender Jr) are designed to only maintain an already charged battery.

Two stage float chargers (regular Battery Tender) can recharge (slowly) a dead battery, and then drop into float mode once the battery is charged.

Last edited by cHarley; 03-31-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:49 PM
sidetracked
Intermediate

i also have one from wal-mart, 20 bucks i think, left it on all winter, did a great job. comes with the quick connect that can be attached to the battery and another quick connect with alligator clips that can also be used on the lawn mower. highly recommend this charger. 1.5amp

Old 03-31-2010, 05:12 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I like and use the Battery Minder on all my 12v batteries.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2201_200332201

Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I have a .75amp trickle charger that has a red light that goes out when the battery is fully charged..over the winter I've had in on for weeks on end and the light never went out so the question is can you over charge a battery with a trickle charger?
Yes! Sure can . . . it just takes longer the lower the amperage of the charger . . .

Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 PM
09sungloflhx
Cruiser

my bike came with one when i bought it

Quick Reply: Trickle charger vs. battery tender...same thing or different?