General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trickle charger vs. battery tender...same thing or different?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:45 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I was in the Harley dealer the other day and noticed the battery tenders setting on a table with some other goodies. I already have one on my Road King but was looking at them because my brother-in-law needs one. They had one with the Harley emblem on it and another without. I asked what the difference was and all he said was the emblem. He wasn't trying to be a smart @ss about it. He said they are even made by the same manufacturer. The non-Harley version was only $39.

So if you have any doubt about that charger, I would replace it. It's a small price to pay for a little comfort knowing the bike will start when you jump on it. Besides, it will probably be the cheapest thing you buy for your bike.

Jim

Old 03-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Lifelong Biker
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like most said the trickle will continue to charge until unplugged, while a tender charges battery then monitors it and charges as is needed. Most have a RED light that goes green when charged. The company "Battery Tender" is the main tender that most use. You can EBay one pretty cheap!

Old 03-30-2010, 03:52 PM
hdtwice
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstegjas
I was in the Harley dealer the other day and noticed the battery tenders setting on a table with some other goodies. I already have one on my Road King but was looking at them because my brother-in-law needs one. They had one with the Harley emblem on it and another without. I asked what the difference was and all he said was the emblem. He wasn't trying to be a smart @ss about it. He said they are even made by the same manufacturer. The non-Harley version was only $39.

So if you have any doubt about that charger, I would replace it. It's a small price to pay for a little comfort knowing the bike will start when you jump on it. Besides, it will probably be the cheapest thing you buy for your bike.

Jim
Yeah...good advice...rare that something for the bike cost that little and well worth the piece of mind

Old 03-30-2010, 06:18 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if you could use a clamp type ammeter to check the output?

Old 03-30-2010, 06:28 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
Battery tender is at .75 amps with a float charge
All four of my Battery Tenders are 1.25 amps. If you buy one at Harley, you most likely are getting a Battery Tender, Jr., and paying the price for a Battery Tender Plus....but you get the Harley sticker.

Competition Accesories sells them, often at sale price. http://www.compacc.com/ Their regular price for a Battery Tender Plus is $39.99, which is about what Harley charges for the Jr.

Quality product, guaranteed for ten years. (The Jr. is only guaranteed for five years). I had one go south, and it was replaced as soon as I returned the defective unit..

Here's the web site with specs for the doubters....http://batterytender.com/

Old 03-30-2010, 06:40 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's the ultimate Battery Tender!

Hope this link works !

http://www.compacc.com/images/product/100/13522_1.jpg

Old 03-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Schumacher makes a nice one with "float mode" Its what I have and was around 20-25 bucks! Hated buying it at walmart, but for that price its hard to beat and they make great products!
http://store.schumachermart.com/sem-1562a.html

Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
Trickle charger will over change your battery over time. It can not float the charge off if the charge is finished. The battery tender can stay on the battery for months. And only charge as needed.
Not only is Cadman correct about a trickle charger over charging your battery . . . it will keep right on going until you either unplug it or the electrolyte boils off and falls below the plates on the battery. At this point your battery has a very high probability of exploding. This is because when the electrolyte exposes the tops of the plates an arc can jump between the pos and neg plates and it will ignite the hydrogen and the oxygen that accumulates at the top of a battery when it is being charged or discharged . . . EXTREMELY DANGEROUS . . . what is left of the acid goes everywhere and the case of the battery can contribute bits of shrapnel . . . think in terms of a small hand grenade all you've got a real good picture of what can happen. Just because it didn't explode when you shut the trickle charger off doesn't mean you're in the clear . . . if the tops of the plates are exposed just engaging the starter motor can set the thing off . . . and where's the battery? and where's your most favorite organ aside from your brain?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:45 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a .75amp trickle charger that has a red light that goes out when the battery is fully charged..over the winter I've had in on for weeks on end and the light never went out so the question is can you over charge a battery with a trickle charger?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

One more thing to remember is that a battery tender will not charge a dead battery, only mantain it in the state that it is in, if the battery is dead, charge it with a low amperage charger (2Amp) first then put it on the tender.

Quick Reply: Trickle charger vs. battery tender...same thing or different?