General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burger King & Harley kicked out of Afghanistan

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by desertclassic
I would hope there is a real reason for this decision.
Oh, there's a reason - the general's political ambition. He is all about show and making himself look good, even if that gets the rest of us killed. Fast food? - a minor issue. You should take a look at his "share the road with VBIEDs" driving policy and his "can't return fire unless there is no chance of hitting a civilian" ROE. he IS the kind of guy I'd expect Obama to put in charge.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
"What it comes down to is focus, and to using the resources we have in the most efficient and effective ways possible.

Supplying non-essential luxuries to big bases like Bagram and Kandahar makes it harder to get essential items to combat outposts and forward operating bases, where troops who are in the fight each day need resupplying with ammunition, food and water."

I can understand why it's an unpopular decision, but the reason they stated in the article makes sense to me. The focus should be on the front lines.
Yes it makes sense. That doesn't make it true. The supplies are there in the country and nobody is flying fast food to "combat outposts" - mostly it's the typical supply SNAFU that keeps everything sitting on a pallet in Bagram instead of where it should be.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:23 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Oh, there's a reason - the general's political ambition. He is all about show and making himself look good, even if that gets the rest of us killed. Fast food? - a minor issue. You should take a look at his "share the road with VBIEDs" driving policy and his "can't return fire unless there is no chance of hitting a civilian" ROE. he IS the kind of guy I'd expect Obama to put in charge.
As you were, drill sgt

General officers in this day and age succeed politically by doing the job on deployment. No real way around it.

As for fast food.....when I was an 11B doing my thing, I would not have shed a single tear if the guys in the bigger rear-area posts had to give up their BKs or Popeye's. Those bigger posts were always fun to visit when I had a pass, but I always left thinking, "So how exactly are those guys 'supporting' the combat arms guys? I mean, the PX is always pretty crowded......"

(I did a tour as a DS, too. Loved it.)

Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

if they'd kick out Toyota, they might be on to something

Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hog Wars

Originally Posted by threeten
General Stanley McChrystal implements new austerity measures in Afghanistan. No more tax free Harley purchases.

“This is a war zone, not an amusement park,” wrote Command Sergeant-Major Michael T. Hall in a military blog.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7080774.ece
You could order that muscle car from Vietnam or Harley and have it waiting on you when and if you got home!

Of course ours was just a police action!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:25 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=icewater103;6486360]
Originally Posted by threeten

“This is a war zone, not an amusement park,” wrote Command Sergeant-Major Michael T. Hall in a military blog.

Somebody needs a chill pill or a blanket party.
I wonder what the penalty would be for throwing a blanket party for a Four Star General?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

They aren't riding them over there right? You order it over there and it's shipped to your dealer stateside, right? Based on his logic, they ought to do away w/the PX altogether.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buger King, and Pizza Hut etc should be offering FREE food to the men and women that allow them to be. Harley should be offering them Bikes at COST ..not just TAX FREE

Thats the real problem ..priorities all screwed up

Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
if they'd kick out Toyota, they might be on to something

True, If we could get them to buy GM trucks then we could wipe them out when they were stuck on the side of the road. Those damn Toyotas are just too reliable.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
+1 WTF? Why is this decision so public when the casualty count is a well hidden secret. Please....